Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman II Riding Mower won't start

NJ

10-24-11, 08:39 AM   #1  
Craftsman II Riding Mower won't start

I have a Craftsman II model 917.254520 that won't start. When I turn the key nothing happens; every once in awhile like when I disconnect & reconnect something there will be one click when I turn the key. Starter does not engage though.

First I tried another battery that I know works--same problem, and I later found that my battery is good. I'm getting 12V to the solenoid. Tried to jump the solenoid with a screwdriver and nothing happend so I started more testing. When I turn the key I'm getting 12V to the other side of the solenoid and to the starter. I assumed I had a bad starter and purchased a new one. Same thing...no start. I bench tested the new starter and it works.

I assume the problem might be a ground somewhere but I'm not sure how I would test for this. Is there a way to jump from the battery right to the starter (i.e. where's the ground wire go)?

Sponsored Links

NY

10-24-11, 10:01 AM   #2  
Basically you did just jump directly to the starter from the battery - you placed a screwdriver between the two heavy posts. Check your ground cable from the battery post to where it attaches to the frame of the mower; I'll bet you need to clean this up and you'll be good.

NJ

11-17-11, 09:13 AM   #3  
Just wanted to let you know that you were correct. I took some sandpaper to some of the ground terminals and it started right up even though they looked pretty clean.

NY

11-17-11, 10:13 AM   #4  
Good news and thanks for updating your thread.

AR

11-18-11, 03:15 AM   #5  
You might want to try replacing the old plug with a new,... you can fold a dollar in half for gap thats close enough

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-18-11, 06:20 PM   #6  
Actually, it would take several dollar bills folded in half to gap a spark plug sufficiently. It should be set at .030". Replacing a spark plug won't do anything to help an engine that the starter doesn't work though.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread