Weedeater Featherlite XT200 won't start

Old 10-24-11, 12:24 PM
Weedeater Featherlite XT200 won't start

After some years (5+) of totally reliable starting, my weed whip won't start. I found and replaced a couple of rotten fuel lines but still have the same symptoms. I notice that when I push on the primer bulb, it doesn't pop (or even ooze) back out. I sprayed a bit of carb cleaner into the carb and it'll run for a second or two before dying (obviously just burning up the carb cleaner) so I am guessing that it isn't pulling fuel. I probably have air in the lines (and don't know whether that is a problem). If I take the primer bulb off, it pops back out. I see a very thin black diaphragm on the underside of the primer bulb and don't see any tears in it. I did not replace the fuel filter that sits inside the gas tank.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions before I start buying replacement fuel filters, primer bulbs, carb repair kits, etc.

Thanks a million in advance!
David

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-11, 04:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your carburetor likely needs servicing/cleaning and probably a kit, and the fuel filter may also need replacement. Can you blow through it? These things were $58 new at Walmart, and you may well spend that much trying to fix it and still not have it fixed. They're only rated for a few hours of use before their useful life has expired. Just a thought.

Old 10-25-11, 06:18 AM
Among the numerous parts included in a rebuild kit will be a screen. This filters incoming fuel as it enters the carb and I'll bet it is plugged tight. This would explain both the no-start and primer-bulb-not-returning issues.

Old 10-25-11, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I know it was only $58 and I have certainly gotten some good use from it - no complaints there. Its just one of those "I SHOULD be able to fix this" things...

Old 10-25-11, 09:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I know what you mean... I'm the same way.

Old 10-25-11, 10:04 AM
As much as I don't like it, certain things are simply not a DIY project! I call it "The Wal-Mart Syndrome" It not only hurts us small, independent service shops, it overloads our landfills.