Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lubricating snowblower

CANADA

10-26-11, 04:25 PM   #1  
Lubricating snowblower

Question,
Winter is almost here in Canada.

I have a couple of snowblowers I really like to take care of.

I am good with taking care of engine, belts etc.

Where I am a little thin is in the lubrication of the machines.

Do I need to lubricate the axle of the auger betwen the impeller anmd the aiger itself.

Should I be taking the auger off and removing the sheer bolts to lube along the axle then put the auger back on?

Do I need to open the gearbox and lubricate the worm gear etc.

If yes to the above, what type of grease do I use?

Looking for some advise in keep my 4 stroke tecemseh running good.

One is a master craft 5 hp and the other is a noma 5hp.

Also, is there any lubricaton required for the clutch plate etc.

Same principle either way.

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

NJ

10-26-11, 04:42 PM   #2  
Your manual will be your best bet for maintainence.

Do you have them?

Mike NJ

CANADA

10-26-11, 04:45 PM   #3  
I do not have the manual for either. Thanks though!

Super Moderator

NJ

10-26-11, 06:42 PM   #4  
I would find a similar snow blower online and use the manual to that.

Mastercraft is MTD I believe.

Look for the manual here.

http://www.mtdproducts.com/webapp/wc...0500&langId=-1

The Noma Co. history is elusive. The Murray Co., which makes Blizzard by Murray, acquired Noma and kept marketing the snow blowers under the Noma name. Briggs & Stratton, an engine manufacturing company that acquired many companies, such as Simplicity, Snapper, Giant-Vac and Ferris, eventually acquired Murray. Briggs & Stratton's acquisitions all happened around the year 2000, which coincides with the last sales of new Noma snow blowers.

NY

10-27-11, 06:24 AM   #5  
The impeller will have no grease fittings so you won't be able to grease this and to tear it apart, although a fantastic idea, to grease the impeller shaft is way too time consuming to consider. The collectors, however and depending on the brand and sometimes the model within the brand, should have grease zerks on each side and, by all means, should be greased with a #2 or #1 grease. If the owner has done so over the years, regularly, you should have no trouble in getting the zerks to take. If not however, a little heat to the zerk may open 'er up to take grease. The auger gearbox is another story; whether it takes grease or oil depends on, again, make and sometimes model within the make. Generally, an aluminum gearbox will take grease - a "00" grease - and a cast iron gearbox will take oil. Now, most cast iron boxes will take a SEA80W90 (gear oil(lube)) and some, including old John Deere's will take SAE30 (engine (motor) oil).

NY

10-27-11, 01:04 PM   #6  
The lube job

The old rule is; if it moves, lube it, with the execption of the drive plate. It is a friction device and any grease or oil will make it usless, and ruin your snow day. Make sure it stays clean.
Sid

CANADA

11-14-11, 06:30 PM   #7  
Thank you

I appreciate all the help on this one.

Craig

Search this Thread