Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Stihl FS 80 Clutch Replacement

MN

10-29-11, 05:36 PM   #1  
Stihl FS 80 Clutch Replacement

I am new to this forum. This is my first posting. I did a search, and did not find anything pertaining to my question.

I have a Stihl FS 80 brushcutter which I purchased in 2004. It is the newer style of FS 80. My clutch has gone out and needs replacement. My Stihl dealer quoted me a repair job that costs more than a new unit. I don't mind working on my own equipment. I am wondering if there is anyone on the forum who is knowledgeable on clutch replacement that could provide some help. Thanks so much.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-30-11, 12:12 AM   #2  
It's not hard to replace, just remove the shaft, front engine shroud, and the clutch, but the replacement parts can be pricey. Check ebay for a good used one maybe? The clutch just unscrews from the shaft. Take the spark plug out and insert a length of rope into the spark plug hole with a bit hanging out to remove it. This will stop the engine from turning so you can loosen/tighten the clutch.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MN

11-01-11, 10:33 AM   #3  
Special Tools?

Thanks for the reply, Cheese. I was told by the shop that it will take special tools to remove some parts. I was a bit skeptical of that. To your knowledge, any special tools that I will require?

And, could you list for me which parts I will need to replace for this work? I am thinking, the clutch drum, and the clutch itself. Is that all?

MO

11-01-11, 04:00 PM   #4  
Dimps;
Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you the workshop manual for your FS80. Have a good one. Geo

MN

11-01-11, 04:24 PM   #5  
Ahhhhh

Georubb,

Thanks for the offer. I would do that, but I can't figure out how to do it. I am new here. Sorry, but help, please.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-02-11, 12:23 AM   #6  
No special tools required. To send a private message, click on his name and the option will appear.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread