Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

First snowfall and I broke my snowblower! Impeller stuck!

NH

10-30-11, 11:35 AM   #1  
First snowfall and I broke my snowblower! Impeller stuck!

I have a Craftsman 247.88999 that is 3 years old in 2 months. While snow blowing I hit my metal fencing that was under the snow. It tangled up the auger and stalled out. The fencing was stuck good as when I pulled it did not budge. No pins broke and I removed the fence by clipping a few pieces of the wire. I started it and it ran fine but when I engaged the auger it stalled. I tried again and same thing. The belts are intact and the drive belt works fine. The impeller is stuck and will not turn at all, by auger gear or by hand. It looks like that the auger is engaged it move the impeller a few inches and then it gets stuck. I did as well notice the front gear housing is cracked and a light gray oil is seeping from the auger gear housing.

I'm out of warranty, not that it would help due to it being my fault. What seemed to have happen? Why is the impeller stuck? The wire fence did not seem to reach it but it looks like the impeller is rubbing the metal housing. Also, could a stuck impeller crack the gear box housing?

Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links

CO

10-31-11, 07:49 AM   #2  
Most likley the gears inside the gear box are jamed you will need to replace the auger assy. Your craftsman was built by MTD so any MTD dealer can get you the parts. Part number 918-04173A

AJ

NY

10-31-11, 09:49 AM   #3  
While I did not look at the parts break-down of your machine on Sears site, I will say that you may not necessarily need to replace the entire auger assembly, which is what the part number that AJ provided is. These auger gearboxes are rebuildable, replacing only the parts you need. If you find that you need many parts, especially the shafts, then the assembly AJ noted may be your best option.

NH

10-31-11, 02:45 PM   #4  
Earlier I had ordered the gear housing part# 618-04173A. As the gear casing was cracked I assumed I needed to replace it. It comes with the auger and impeller shaft as well. Is this needed or if replaced fix the issue?

NY

11-01-11, 09:55 AM   #5  
I'm confused; you said you ordered the part number. Do you have the order (part)? Assuming for a moment you did not receive this yet, the part number is a complete auger gearbox assembly which is the gearcase halves with all internal components which includeds the impeller and auger shafts. The assembly does not include the impeller fan or either (any) of the collectors. If your gearcase half is shattered then the part number you ordered will fix your problem. My point is you may not have had to order such and expensive part (assembly), you may have been able to order just the case half. But, you wouldn't know unless you tore the gearcase apart and inspected the internals.

NH

11-01-11, 03:13 PM   #6  
puey61:

That's correct. I just ordered it and it has yet to arrived. I'm unsure of the extent this will be to install but as everything is already attached and (Gear box and shafts) I would imagine I the auger will come off of the shaft when removing the pins. Will I need to take out the impeller as well? As I'm a novice to this so If it would take a skilled mechanic over an hour to fix then I don't think It would be in my best interest to replace myself unless it may be more simple since the part I ordered includes what you had mentioned.

NY

11-02-11, 10:13 AM   #7  
The collectors and the impeller fan will need to be removed and transferred to the new assembly you ordered. This may require persuasion in the form of oxy-acetylene heat and a hydraulic press. You won't know until you actually try to remove each such. Again, you may not have needed to order a complete gearbox assembly. Can you cancel the order without incurring an expense? You should at least tear apart the unit (assembly) you have and determine if you can get away with fewer parts than the complete assembly.

Search this Thread