Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Coleman powermate 4000 watt generator w/ B&S 8hp engine circa 1986

CT

11-02-11, 07:42 PM   #1  
Coleman powermate 4000 watt generator w/ B&S 8hp engine circa 1986

I purchased this generator new in 1986 and it has run faithfully until recently. It appears that something is missing IE: a spring of some form from the speed control so that I can not control the speed. So the generator runs at a speed that produces 140/280 volts. What I need to know is where I can get pictures and parts lists so I can repair and control the speed. Because of this I can not get maximum wattage from this machine as the governor does not increase the speed when an additional load is applied. I currently have this jury rigged so I can use it during the present power outage here in CT. I have searched multiple websites to no avail and I do not want to purchase a new machine.

Sponsored Links

AR

11-02-11, 09:12 PM   #2  
Posted By: bigbanjoe I purchased this generator new in 1986 and it has run faithfully until recently. It appears that something is missing IE: a spring of some form from the speed control so that I can not control the speed. So the generator runs at a speed that produces 140/280 volts. What I need to know is where I can get pictures and parts lists so I can repair and control the speed. Because of this I can not get maximum wattage from this machine as the governor does not increase the speed when an additional load is applied. I currently have this jury rigged so I can use it during the present power outage here in CT. I have searched multiple websites to no avail and I do not want to purchase a new machine.

What is the model # and Type # on the engine? You can use the model # and type # and got to the B&S website to see what is missing. Post Model# and Type # for all to see. Please.

NY

11-03-11, 06:12 AM   #3  
You may also need the code number for some parts so make a note of this as well when you look for and find the model and type numbers off the engine's blower shroud. Sounds like you have a broken governor spring, which, in all Briggs & Stratton lookups, will be reference # 209.

VA

11-06-12, 09:03 AM   #4  
Same Issue

i have the same Coleman Powermate model PM52-4000. my governor will not increase the engine speed. i can watch the linkage not move in response to a load increase. all the springs are present and accounted for. i can move it by hand to increase the speed. my Tecumseh engine label reads HM80 155465N (B) 3244A. it ran perfectly for 3 days during the Derecho last summer. i have the no load engine rpm set by tach at 3600. when a load is applied now the Hz drops from 60 to 54 +/- and the rpms drop accordingly. governor gear inside engine issue? i have pics if that would help. the governor is very stiff to move but it move crisply without binding. thanks for any assistance.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-06-12, 09:48 AM   #5  
Sounds like the tension on the static tension governor spring needs to be increased. There is probably an adjustment nut to tighten for this.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

06-13-14, 09:41 AM   #6  
I have just fixed an engine with this prob.
Loosen clamp on governor shaft;turn shaft to idle(see my other post) clamp tightly. There is a LOT of vibration on this engine and over time square hole gets rounded and loose. GL

Search this Thread