Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Shear bolt stuck

NY

11-03-11, 01:49 PM   #1  
Shear bolt stuck

I needed to get the auger off my snow blower, so I can repair it. I sprayed the shear bolt with that rust buster stuff, because it was kind of rusted, it is going on 10 years now. I started turning the nut, it started getting hard, so I ran it back a few turns, and sprayed it again. After a while I tried to remove it again, the bolt snapped. So I tried turning the head of the bolt, it snapped off. So I got a punch and a hammer, and hit my hand twice, and stopped that idea. I got out my air hammer, with a punch, and that did was put a hole in the end of the bolt. My last, and next step is to drill it out. Is this a good idea, or is there a better way. And if the bolt is that rusted, do you think the auger might be rusted to the shaft, and the bolts won't even work if needed.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

11-03-11, 02:40 PM   #2  
I think you are right. If the sheer bolt is stuck that hard the auger is also probably on the shaft pretty good. Getting it apart may require a torch and a big hammer. I used a snow blower on a gravel drive & road for a couple seasons and never had the sheer bolt/pin give. I've bent impeller and auger blades and stalled out the motor but have never had the sheer bolt do it's job.

Now the question is do you go to all the work to remove the auger? Can it somehow, even with more hassle, be repaired in place?

NY

11-03-11, 05:58 PM   #3  
Pilot Dane, since you put it that way, I might be in trouble. Something got in it last year, and cracked the weld on the auger. So I guess I am better off leaving it a lone, and just weld it were it is. I am thinking those shear bolts aren't going to shear any time soon.
Thanks for your help.

Search this Thread