Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ariens Mower with Locked wheels on self propelled mower.

TX

11-07-11, 08:15 PM   #1  
Ariens Mower with Locked wheels on self propelled mower.

I have an Ariens self propelled walk behind mower. I've tried doing some searching on trouble shooting tips but haven't been able to find any good info.

Model: 911516 Serial: 004877

Here is the problem. It does not roll, the rear drive wheels are "locked up". It does not roll forwards nor backwards. It does not matter if the engine is running or not.

History: I bought the mower used, I know the previous owner got it new and used it sparingly for a couple of years until the pull chord broke and then it sat for 2/3 years. I've swapped the chord and cleaned the carb, it starts and runs without any problems other than the tranny.

Here is where my limited knowledge with transmissions comes in to play. How to trouble shoot this thing?

I can pick up the rear wheels and when you spin one wheel clockwise the other wheel will spin counterclockwise.

The belt from the large pulley to the engine shaft looks in very good condition and not worn. I can run the engine and the big pulley spins too. When I try to engage the self propelled lever on the handle bar the big pulley stops spinning. I tried to adjust the cable such that the variable wheel will contact the large pulley but it doesn’t seem to change anything.

My internet searches tell me there are similar manufactures with this type of transmission. Ariens, Snapper and MTD / Yardman / Cub Cadet with variable speed drive.

Does anyone have some good pages to read or ideas to trouble shoot this type of transmission?

Parts list here:
Model: 911516 Serial: 004877

Ariens Order Owners Manuals

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-08-11, 12:37 AM   #2  
If the big wheel stops turning when you engage the drive, then I'd suspect the belt is loose.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

TX

11-08-11, 05:33 AM   #3  
Cheese,

Thanks for the tip. I'll take a closer look at the belt and check for anything obvious.

I'm not sure I understand how a worn belt would prevent the mower from moving forward or backwards with the engine not running.

Thanks.

NY

11-08-11, 06:18 AM   #4  
Are you saying you cannot freewheel the mower, or, it will not propel? If it will not do either then I'll bet you have debris between the hex shaft gear and the differential gear and it's locked up. To check, remove the left drive wheel, remove the metal cover covering the gears and then have a look between the two gears.

TX

11-08-11, 08:21 PM   #5  
Puey61,

Thanks for the reply.

If you push the mower forward, it does not roll. If you push the mower backwards, it does not roll. I have a couple movies that I have links below. I wish the quality was better but you should get the basic idea.

MVI_0256.avi - YouTube

MVI 0258 - YouTube

MVI_0266.avi - YouTube

What's next on the way of troubleshooting? Is there a bind inside the transmission case?

Thanks.

NY

11-09-11, 05:57 AM   #6  
I think you have no clearance between the friction disc (rubber) and the friction plate (driven by the belt) which is adjustable by the control cable. Make sure, too, that the return spring is not too lazy and not pulling the disc away from the plate when the PTO lever is not engaged. Because you could not freely spin the gears by hand, this leads me to believe my diagnosis. I'd like to see what happens when you run the engine AND you engage the PTO lever...or if you can tell me. Does it drive? BTW, there is no "transmission" on this mower, it is a friction drive. The aluminum housing you pointed to in one of your vids is simply a bearing housing.

TX

11-09-11, 10:16 AM   #7  
puey61,

Thanks for the comments and correcting my terminology. Self propelled mechanisms are not my area. If I have enough daylight at home tonight I'll check if the friction disc is in contact or not in contact with the friction plate.

I recall once I got the engine running it didn't matter if the engaged the PTO lever, no forward motion occurred. I recall playing with the adjustment cable and trying to get the rubber friction disc to contact the friction plate. I THINK the outcome was no change. I THINK what ended up happing was the friction plat stopped spinning (engine running) while I engaged the PTO lever, and the belt stops turning, as if the belt was loose and slipping at the engine shaft pulley.

I need to double check my statements above to confirm this line of thinking. If this is true it seems to me the aluminum bearing housing may be in a bind? Perhaps I'll open up this housing tonight as well, it looks to be accessible.

Thanks for the help and I'll reply later with my results.

Regards.

TX

11-09-11, 05:50 PM   #8  
Problem solved.

Thanks to the simple troubleshooting with the fellows here the problem has been solved. At least I believed it has been solved. I believe the issue was nothing more than dirty gearing in the linkage of the self propelled parts combine with sitting for 2/3 years.

The mower has a relatively small amount of dried up old grass and rust near/behind the gear coming out of the aluminum gear box. After a few simple squirts of WD-40 (and PB-Blaster just because I had some) with about 2 minutes of turning the gear back and forth by hand (and pipe wrench in the beginning) to work the lubricating fluid into the shaft area freed up the gear. Now it spins with easy by hand.

MVI_0268.avi - YouTube

With the lever engaged, the friction disc contacts the friction plate. Now I can see and feel the gears trying to spin as I would expect them to move.

I will give it a test run in the next day or two so if I don't post anything back then I'm up and running, mowing my back yard.

Search this Thread