MIL snow blower

Old 11-13-11, 05:58 AM
MIL snow blower

my MIL wants a snow blower. she HAD one, until her other son-in-law stole it. he also stole her lawn mower.

i gotta keep the price down. a single stage would be fine. i dug out my moms 2 wide and 100' long, 3' deep drifts, with her older single stage.

what brands, engines, whatever else, should i be looking for ?
under $500 would be great, she is on SS. but i know that could be pushing it.

thanx

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-11, 06:31 AM
nuthin ? wow, tough crowd.

my moms is an older craftsman 5hp 21" (its green, if that tells ya anything). say MADE IN USA on it.

Old 11-19-11, 07:13 AM
Group Moderator
I was going to reply but I figured others would have better advice.

If your budget is less than $500 I would think you could pick any of the single stage blowers out as they are mostly less than that new. I will not but anything from Sears that has a motor (electric or gas) but that is just me. Big names like Honda are always good but I have had very good luck with anything with a Tecumseh motor. I have a two stage MTD (Tecumseh) that has never failed to start on 1 or 2 pulls in the past 10+ years.

Old 11-24-11, 05:41 AM
on another forum, the guys are saying toro. but i come to find out that they have a chinese engine in em. probably something i can't avoid unless i spend big money.

there is a local guy on craigslist that has a bunch on em. i wonder if i should look used.

Old 11-27-11, 07:44 AM
i checked out the used guy, he has a bunch. i am considering a toro ccr2000 with a suzuki engine (he says). for $300. from what little i can gather on the net. these are very good blowers.

Old 12-04-11, 07:25 AM
Don't be afraid of Chineese Engines, Some of the Domestic Engines aren't what they used to be. I have been doing small engine repair and outdoor gas powered equipment repair since 1976. I took my own personal snowblower a Murray which came with a Tecumseh 5.5 HP and replaced it with a 99 dollar Chineese made 6.5 HP overhead valve Honda clone all purpose engine. I have used this for four years, kept the engine oil changed and clean the entire machine and stabelize the Gas every spring. The machine has trenmendous power, burns not one drop of oil, and starts 1st pull every time.

Old 12-04-11, 07:59 AM
thanx, and Welcome to this forum.

i ended up buying a toro ccr1000e, $150. the E doesn't work, has a broken mount. it is plastic (i thought toro was tough ?). i glued it and put a metal strap on it, broke again.

anyway.

it seems to run good. but i think it may need paddles or whatever they are called.
when it is just setting there, the paddles are about 1/8th'ish off the concrete.
is this normal ? no one told me to check for this when looking it over.

if this 3hp machine moves the snow good enough. i will be happy(enough).
but i am going to look for a better machine during the summer.