Briggs 6 HP starts and then dies

Old 11-13-11, 01:24 PM
Briggs 6 HP starts and then dies

Well this has probably been posted before but Im new here.
I have a Poulan self propelled walk behind mower with a Briggs 12H802 1922E1 engine.
This summer it would run but surged a little. I cleaned the main jet and it worked fine until a few days ago. It will start and run as long as you push the primer bulb. I changed the gasket between the air filter plate and carb, made sure nothing was blocked and it still won't run on its own.
I can't get gas out of the carb with out pushing the primer bulb. Seems like there is no pulse coming from the tube that hooks to the back side of the air filter base.
Any one have suggestions? This thing is driving me up the wall.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-11, 02:46 PM
Group Moderator
I would start by giving the carburetor a thorough cleaning. Remove the carburetor from the engine, disassemble it, soak it, clean everything and then reassemble.

If you have never done it before it's really not that bad. Take pictures of EVERY step so you know exactly where every piece goes. Before removing any adjustment screws note their position and gently screw them all the way in (clockwise, righty tighty) and count the number of turns it takes for it to bottom out. Only screw in until it just stops. Do not tighten. That will damage the carb. This will tell you how to re-install the adjustment screw to the same place after the carb is clean.

Old 11-13-11, 04:43 PM
found my problem

The problem is in the air filter plate. It warps just enough to have an air leak and one gasket wont fix it.
I put two gaskets on it an hour ago and mowed the yard.
I know others have fought this problem and I just wanted them to know what my fix was. I now have one of the cleanest Briggs carbs on the planet. I will replace the air filter plate before next spring.