Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman lawn tractor 16.5 hp honda engine

TN

11-22-11, 02:20 PM   #1  
Craftsman lawn tractor 16.5 hp honda engine

Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a wire connected to the oil pressure switch?

Sponsored Links

NY

11-23-11, 10:11 AM   #2  
I'm not saying there is no such machine but I've never seen a Honda powered Craftsman lawn tractor. Which makes me think that this is a non-original engine that the tractor never intended to have such a switch.

Group Moderator

NC

11-23-11, 02:29 PM   #3  
Is it a oil pressure switch or a low oil shutdown switch? In either case "yes" the switch is there for a reason and was intended to have a wire leading to a gauge or to the ignition to shut the engine down. They are not needed for the engine to run but are there are "idiot prevention" to help save the engine if someone doesn't bother checking the oil occasionally.

NY

11-25-11, 09:52 AM   #4  
What is the model and serial numbers of the machine? You should find them under the seat.

TN

11-25-11, 01:32 PM   #5  
Thanks Puey and Pilot Dane, My lawn tractor is original I bought it brand new from sears. It has a honda V twin engine. The model # for the tractor is 917.273502. It was hard to read the diagrams in my manual for the engine because they are so small. I recently cleaned the engine so I may have knocked the wire off of the oil pressure switch. The motor cranks but there is no spark coming from either spark plug. I just replaced the plugs, the air filter and fuel filter. I will try to connect a wire from the oil pressure switch to the ignition and let you know how I make out.

NY

11-25-11, 04:18 PM   #6  
How many terminals are on the switch you have? Where, specifically, is the switch located? Not ever having seen a Honda powered Craftsman lawn tractor, I'll go with basic knowledge; simply unplugging the switch will not cause the ignition to kill. If the wire(s) that came off are, however, touching the chassis or other metallic part of the mower and since this/these wire(s) are related to the ignition kill circuit then you will have no spark.

TN

11-26-11, 08:24 AM   #7  
Puey61, There is just one screw on the oil pressure switch. Everyone keeps telling me that there should be a wire connected to it. I don't see where the wire is going to plug into from the pressure switch to the ignition switch. There is no extra connection around the ignition anywhere. All the wires appear to be connected. The oil pressure switch on my tractor is right near the oil filter. How can I test the ignition coil wires. Do you think they may be bad?

TN

12-06-11, 05:32 PM   #8  
Well I had to send my tractor out to a local tractor repair center and they diagnosed it with no problem. It was the coil packs. Both were replaced at $43.00 each and $60.00 for labor. Well worth it because it was driving me crazy trying to diagnose myself. Tractor runs great now, no problems so far, got my last cut in for the year hopefully. I still have weeds growing here in PA. Pilot and Puey thanks for your input.

Search this Thread