Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

snapper snow thrower carburetor rebuild

RI

11-23-11, 08:59 PM   #1  
snapper snow thrower carburetor rebuild

I have a snapper le 17 snow thrower model LE3170R with a tecumseh motor. the owners manual gives me two options of motors HSK600 and HSK840, fromt he looks of the carb and muffler it looks like HSK 600. The shop i brought it too is telling me 135 for a new carb because it stalls out when it hits snow.
I was thinking of rebuilding the carb or maybe looking around for a new one but I can not figure out which carb i need. there are no serial numbers on the motor like the manual says.

can someone steer me int he right direction?
she's not the best looking blower but she starts every time and she was my first in 1995.
thanks. or perhaps a guy i can send this carb out to be rebuilt.

Sponsored Links

NY

11-25-11, 09:46 AM   #2  
Look again for the ID numbers on the flwheel shroud. They may be stamped or on a sticker. We can't help you without these "number".

RI

11-27-11, 02:52 PM   #3  
here are the numbers i could find. i don;'t know what they mean.
HSK600 1683S (D) 4110H
Thanks
bryan

NY

11-29-11, 09:45 AM   #4  
The original carburetor part number is Tecumseh 632410B and if you are going to replace the carb then it will be 640098A which is $80-90, give or take. Most carburetors can be reconditioned but I cannot tell you if yours is a good candidate unless I could personally inspect it. BTW, the HSK is the model number of the engine, the 1683S is the specification number and 4110 is the serial (date of manufacture)...the 4 is the year (you have to guess the decade but yours is 90's so, 1994) and 110 is day of the year or the 110th day of the year 1994.

Super Moderator

NJ

11-29-11, 10:06 AM   #5  
Sounds more like a governer issue.

Mike NJ

RI

11-29-11, 06:58 PM   #6  
thanks puey.
how do i know if it is a good candidate. it's not leaking fuel, all the parts are there, and there are no dents in the bowl. it starts up and runs fine if i leave the choke open.

iawrosa- how can i narrow it down?

Super Moderator

NJ

11-29-11, 07:09 PM   #7  
because it stalls out when it hits snow
it starts up and runs fine if i leave the choke open
Well what exactly is it doing? Do you need to choke it to keep it running? That would be the carb then.

If all is normal until you load it up I would look at the governor.

I just took my generator carb off today and cleaned it. Dirt in the needle. Would only run with the choke on. Would sputter with the choke off. This is because I run all the fuel out for storage. Probably dirt from the tank. I am going to put a filter on the fuel line one of these days.

Look at the governor linkage and make sure no broken springs, tangs, etc.

The probalem is if you dont know what its supposed to look like and where the springs go, it will be a guess.

Mike NJ

NY

11-30-11, 09:39 AM   #8  
A bad governor will not cause the carburetor to run better on choke, so you can disregard that. Any time a carb must be run on choke (I'm assuming you meant to say "leave the choke closed") indicates you have a restriction within the carb. Pull it off, soak it in a good bath cleaner and rebuild it with Tecumseh parts. I'd like to give you a rebuild kit part number but this carb, for some unknown reason, doesn't list a kit. You'll have to use individual parts.

RI

12-12-11, 07:44 PM   #9  
Posted By: puey61 A bad governor will not cause the carburetor to run better on choke, so you can disregard that. Any time a carb must be run on choke (I'm assuming you meant to say "leave the choke closed") indicates you have a restriction within the carb. Pull it off, soak it in a good bath cleaner and rebuild it with Tecumseh parts. I'd like to give you a rebuild kit part number but this carb, for some unknown reason, doesn't list a kit. You'll have to use individual parts.
what do i use to give it a good bath cleaner?

NY

12-13-11, 06:20 AM   #10  
We use NAPA's carburetor cleaner and it works very well. You can buy a gallon of it which includes a basket in order to place your disassembled carb into. If your carb has a plastic fuel inlet fitting do not soak for more than 15 minutes at a time. In other words, soak fifteen, spray off with a good spray carb/choke or brake cleaner, allow to dry (compressed air is best) and then repeat process as many times as necessary to remove all varnish from on and inside carburetor.

Search this Thread