Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

timing a craftsman snow thrower with b&s engine 10 hp

CANADA

11-24-11, 01:01 PM   #1  
timing a craftsman snow thrower with b&s engine 10 hp

I own a older model craftsman snow thrower. It has electric start around 10 hp ( i am at work so can't look) I am pretty sure the timing is retarded a bit. There is flame coming out of the exhaust just before it starts. You need to choke it and turn it over for a long while before it starts. It is also low on power for a 10 hp. I have worked on lots of 2 cycle small engines but never messed with a 4 cycle so a little direction would go a long ways.

Sponsored Links

Non-US

11-24-11, 04:57 PM   #2  
Posted By: rjb222 I own a older model craftsman snow thrower. It has electric start around 10 hp ( i am at work so can't look) I am pretty sure the timing is retarded a bit. There is flame coming out of the exhaust just before it starts. You need to choke it and turn it over for a long while before it starts. It is also low on power for a 10 hp. I have worked on lots of 2 cycle small engines but never messed with a 4 cycle so a little direction would go a long ways.
Hello,
The valves might be an issue. Have you done a compression test at all? You may want to pull the head off and check the condition of the valves, and there seats. Could even be simply a piece of carbon holding that valve slightly open.Hope this helps.

CANADA

11-24-11, 05:15 PM   #3  
No not yet. Is there a simple way to compression test or do I need to get hold of a comperssion measuing guage?

Non-US

11-24-11, 07:07 PM   #4  
Posted By: rjb222 No not yet. Is there a simple way to compression test or do I need to get hold of a comperssion measuing guage?
Hello,
B&S are not big on posting actual compression values for there engines.
A "simple" test not needing a compression gauge, would be to remove your manual starter to gain access to the flywheel, and rapidly spinning the engine by hand in the opposite direction, and observe the "bounce" the flywheel makes as the piston travels into the compression stroke. remove your spark plug lead from the plug while doing this for safety.
Not knowing your engine specs,the engine is spun in the opposite direction to avoid low compression from a decompression mechanism
I hope this helps! Please keep us posted on your progress.

AR

11-25-11, 05:47 AM   #5  
Posted By: rjb222 I own a older model craftsman snow thrower. It has electric start around 10 hp ( i am at work so can't look) I am pretty sure the timing is retarded a bit. There is flame coming out of the exhaust just before it starts. You need to choke it and turn it over for a long while before it starts. It is also low on power for a 10 hp. I have worked on lots of 2 cycle small engines but never messed with a 4 cycle so a little direction would go a long ways.

You might also check the flywheel key, making sure it is not twisted. Also check the air gap on coil.

CANADA

11-25-11, 09:04 AM   #6  
Posted By: mowerdude You might also check the flywheel key, making sure it is not twisted. Also check the air gap on coil.
Is there a proper measurement for the clearance needed for the air gap? I will also check the keyway as suggested while I have the cover off. Good info and suggestions thanks.

NY

11-25-11, 09:40 AM   #7  
I think you have a carburetor in need of cleaning and reconditioning. Post back with the engine ID numbers...model, type and code. Throw in the chassis numbers as well...model and serial.

AR

11-26-11, 07:03 AM   #8  
Posted By: rjb222 Is there a proper measurement for the clearance needed for the air gap? I will also check the keyway as suggested while I have the cover off. Good info and suggestions thanks.

Air gap should be .010 to .012

CANADA

11-27-11, 06:00 PM   #9  
Here is a link to my snowblower. When checking numbers I found I was wrong on the hp. it is 8 hp not 10. craftsman snowblower manual
I agree with the carburetor needing cleaning and fixing. The Governor is trying to cut in but it does not seem to bring in the power like it should when workinghard. I also had to use the primer pump the a couple of times to keep the motor running today after getting the motor started.Now I need to find Parts.

CANADA

11-27-11, 06:15 PM   #10  
Part numbers and pics in that manual indicate that it's a tecumseh motor not B&S

Posted By: rjb222 Here is a link to my snowblower. When checking numbers I found I was wrong on the hp. it is 8 hp not 10. craftsman snowblower manual
I agree with the carburetor needing cleaning and fixing. The Governor is trying to cut in but it does not seem to bring in the power like it should when workinghard. I also had to use the primer pump the a couple of times to keep the motor running today after getting the motor started.Now I need to find Parts.

CANADA

11-28-11, 11:06 AM   #11  
I know I was wrong about a couple of things. I am now trying to locate a carb kit for this machine and a proper setting for start up with a new carb. I can find a replacement carb but not a carb kit. I also think that some one changed the spark plug as this usually happens and am looking for the right plug number to replace the one I have so I know all will be right at that point and go from there. The manual that is shown has the page removed that shows the plug number.

CANADA

11-28-11, 02:41 PM   #12  
Posted By: rjb222 I know I was wrong about a couple of things. I am now trying to locate a carb kit for this machine and a proper setting for start up with a new carb. I can find a replacement carb but not a carb kit. I also think that some one changed the spark plug as this usually happens and am looking for the right plug number to replace the one I have so I know all will be right at that point and go from there. The manual that is shown has the page removed that shows the plug number.
Since you are in Canada like me go to
Banta Saw - Small Engine Parts and Accessories - Home Page
Carb kit 632347 is available as their number 520-336 @ $14.59 CDN + shipping. You may want to see what else you might need and save on additional shipping. plug is j19lm which you can get at Canadian tire or again banta has equivalent 690-301
Carb settings to start on the needles is 1 1/2 turns out from lightly seated.

CANADA

11-28-11, 09:08 PM   #13  
Thanks 38racing I do appreciate the information.

Search this Thread