Kohler Hard Starting

Old 11-27-11, 06:49 AM
Kohler Hard Starting

I have a Kohler Command 25HP twin on a Scotts 54" riding mower that has run like a champ until the last few month. It has become hard to start. I can get it to fire with some starting fluid & once warmed up it starts just fine. Any thoughts on what I need to do to corrct this? I may try a new set of plugs (they weren't all that old) but wondering if my coil is going bad & maybe my spark isn't as good as it used to be.....

TexasFire

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-11, 09:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Might start with checking the choke adjustment. Make sure it closes all the way when fully engaged.

Old 11-27-11, 11:01 AM
Group Moderator
First I would check the choke as BFHFixit mentioned.

How old is motor? If it's a bit on the old side I would check the compression.

Old 11-27-11, 08:11 PM
The choke is operating as it should, smoothly from full open to full closed. I didn't put a compression gauge on it but I know my compression is good. The engine runs great, as strong as it always has once I get past a cold start. It spins a 54" 3 blade mowing deck & mows / runs just fine. Its only on a cold start that its giving me trouble. The next chance I get I am going to pull & inspect both plugs & put a spark tester on it to see what the spark looks like.

TexasFire

Old 11-28-11, 06:34 AM
Chances are good that the ignition is fine since you have no trouble otherwise, especially at WOT under a load, and it seems only confined to cold start. Time to clean and recondition the carburetor using a Kohler rebuild kit.