What type oil would you recommend for Generac XP8000E being used in Alabama?

Old 12-02-11, 09:30 AM
What type oil would you recommend for Generac XP8000E being used in Alabama?

Just ordered a refurb Generac XP8000E to use as backup generator at home. Manual says best to use SAE 30wt oil when operating at 40 degrees and above which most of the time in Alabama spring storms cause the outages and temp would be above 40. However, I've read where some people swear by 5w-30w synthetic and occasional I might need to run it in winter when it might be below 40. I figure that since it will be kept in a garage when not in use that the engine will have plenty of time to heat the 30w regular oil even if its below freezing when I roll it out. However, I wasn't sure what most people use, thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-11, 09:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Stick with SAE30 for the first couple of oil changes, then once the engine has broken in well, switch to the synthetic if you like.

Old 12-02-11, 09:36 AM
Amsoil 4-Stroke Small Engine Oil 10W-30/SAE30 full synthetic. As important, use a good quality ethanol treatment, such as Sta-Bil Marine Formula.

Old 12-05-11, 08:35 AM
If there is a chance of a start when the oil is below 40 degrees you should go with 10W30. It's the oil temp at starting, not the ambient air temp that sets the condition. This is so the cold oil can get moving faster to the critical areas during the first seconds after starting. Full-synthetic is also a good idea because the generator may be needed for extended periods. You could also use 5W30 if you wish but unless it gets down to zero you would be better with the 10W30.
So, if the garage is heated or partially heated so the oil never gets below 40 degrees, you can stick with SAE30HD. Otherwise, you need a multi-vis, and synthetic in either type would be smart. If you have an ice storm which is certainly not out of the question, you could be using the generator continuously for a week or more. Same with a tropical storm in summer or fall, then you have tornados in-between. Sounds like VA.

Old 12-05-11, 07:02 PM
I plan on keeping it in a climate controlled garage so I think SAE 30 which is what came with it should do the trick. Its a refurb so it had 86 hrs on it when I got it and I'm alittle afraid to switch to synthetic now since I don't know what was put in it before. The key now if figuring out how to store it in garage without draining all the gas since the fumes seem to be overpowering at the moment.

Old 12-05-11, 07:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Afraid to switch to synthetic? Why?

Old 12-06-11, 07:05 AM
I have heard that if you wait and switch to synthetic too late that the detergant effect of synthetic oil can possible cause small leaks in areas that have formed there own seal over time. I figure if I keep it in a garage the SAE 30 should serve just as well.

Old 12-08-11, 09:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There's no danger in switching to synthetic any time.