Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Trencher - Renting one, worried about transport

CANADA

12-05-11, 04:04 AM   #1  
Trencher - Renting one, worried about transport

I have a 18 inch trench to dig for 35 feet. I'd do it manually, but I'm hitting stones the size of a football every couple of feet of distance.

So I found a store that rents trenchers but I'm worried about my ability to get it from point A (store) to point B (home).

From what I can tell online, trenchers weight about 1000lbs. There are some 300lbs models, but they only seem to dig 12 inches.

That's insane and I can't imagine how I'd pull it on my truck, even with ramps without 2 other guys.

Will I find myself in renting more than just the trencher? like a cart?

Oh and while I'm at it, can I expect a trencher to handle rocks or will I still be stuck taking them out with a pickaxe?

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

12-05-11, 05:29 AM   #2  
Everyplace I ever rented something big from included the price of the trailer in the rental fee. They don't want you hauling their $10K machine on a $250 trailer kit from Northern Tools.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-05-11, 05:50 AM   #3  
Ya, me too. Rental companies always provide a trailer for machines that can't reasonably be expected to be lifted [manually] into the back of the truck. I don't know how the trencher will handle the big rocks but I'd think with the labor saved on the rest you'd have more energy to handle the big rocks

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CANADA

12-05-11, 07:02 AM   #4  
Well one thing I should have thought of...

I don't have a hitch

Though my vehicle is plenty big enough for getting it inside...

ramps maybe? After all, getting the trencher in the trailer would require ramps too (though trailers have the ramps included).

Meh I'll contact the rental store.

As for the rocks, ya true, my energy can be saved for rocks.

Search this Thread