Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Neutralize Battery Acid


Baldwin's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,438
MN

12-05-11, 01:10 PM   #1  
Neutralize Battery Acid

I have a couple cups of battery acid left over after buying a battery for my lawnmower.

What's the best way to neutralize this stuff so I can pour it down the toilet?

Seems to me I used baking soda years ago but that made quite a bubbly mess.

 
Sponsored Links
Gunguy45's Avatar
Super Moderator

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 20,655
AZ

12-05-11, 01:35 PM   #2  
I pour it on weeds in my gravel yard...must be limestone cause it sure does bubble!

A big box of baking soda would probably work...but why not check at a battery or repair shop?


Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

 
Edward074's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 373
NY

12-22-11, 06:33 PM   #3  
Why not just store it safely, in case you need some more later.

 
marksr's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 42,796
TN

12-23-11, 04:03 AM   #4  
I agree with both Vic and Edward I wouldn't pour it down the commode


retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

 
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 39,968
GA

12-23-11, 04:32 AM   #5  
It's sulphuric acid, and it will bubble when it touches something organic, or steel for that matter. Pouring it down the toilet would be a no no. Even if it cost you a couple of bucks, take it to Wal Mart or some other auto parts place and let them recycle it.

 
Baldwin's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,438
MN

12-23-11, 07:15 AM   #6  
Why not just store it safely, in case you need some more later.
I don't know why but they say to never use it to top off a battery, only add water so I'm not sure what you could use it for.

After reading this:


Concentrated sulfuric acid is frequently the major ingredient in acidic drain cleaners which are used to remove grease, hair, tissue paper, etc.
So, each time I flushed the can I'd squirt a tablespoon or so in till it was gone.

 
Search this Thread