Kohler Command Oil around Valve Cover Help

Old 12-06-11, 05:07 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kohler Command Oil around Valve Cover Help

I'm not a mechanic, but would like to fix this on my own if possible.

I have a carpet cleaning machine which has a 25 hp Kohler Command, Horizontal Crank.

Today, it back fired on me pretty bad upon the 2nd start up of the day (about 1/2 hr after the first job)

I noticed more white smoke coming out the exhaust from the side where you fill the oil. There is also visible oil around the valve cover.The valve cover also has a Fuel pump assembly on it.

Seems to run fine after it warms up and smoke clears up.

I took off the valve cover and don't know if the gasket is bad or not, but oil is obviously getting through it and running down the side.

So, Can I get some help trouble shooting and if anyone knows the part #'s or where to buy parts, I'd appreciate it.

Owner manual says CH18-26 CH730-750

Scared the crap out of me because the exhaust hit me in the upper leg when it backfired today, didn't hurt, but my ear was ringing for awhile. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-08-11, 09:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I don't know what caused the backfire, but it's probably not related to the oil leak. Sounds like the valve cover gasket may just be leaking. Is the smoke coming from the hot exhaust pipe where the oil runs onto it, or from the actual exhaust?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: