Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftstman snowblower issues

WI

12-07-11, 04:15 PM   #1  
Craftstman snowblower issues

Working on a #536.886140 5hp 22 inch blower... engine starts but quits in 10 - 15 seconds.. cleaned carb, gas lines, jets all I could think of and it does the same thing ??? stumped as hell !

Sponsored Links

MO

12-07-11, 06:10 PM   #2  
The bowl nut(main Jet) is probably still clogged, there several styles with from 0 to 4 holes, the tiny one near the top threads is usually the problem, I clean it withe the wire from a twist tie. Have a good one. Geo

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...c_bowl_nut.jpg

WI

12-07-11, 06:57 PM   #3  
Thanks for the reply.. used a twist tie and pipe cleaners ! its got 2 small holes and one large in center, none of the jets are adjustable like on the others I have worked on ?.. does the float pin ride on the float tab or go around the tab ? only thing I have not tried.. these motors are so basic... its driving me nuts... customer's blower too, Thanks Geo

NY

12-08-11, 05:35 AM   #4  
The inlet needle clip, if that's what you're referring to, straddles the float lever.

MO

12-08-11, 08:58 AM   #5  
Posted By: Bman1958 Thanks for the reply.. used a twist tie and pipe cleaners ! its got 2 small holes and one large in center, none of the jets are adjustable like on the others I have worked on ?.. does the float pin ride on the float tab or go around the tab ? only thing I have not tried.. these motors are so basic... its driving me nuts... customer's blower too, Thanks Geo
May I suggest checking the bowl nut again, the tiny hole near the top is almost invisible on some. Refer to the pic below. Have a good one. Geo

WI

12-08-11, 06:37 PM   #6  
Ok put the inlet needle clip around the float tab.. figured that would take care of fuel issues.. also cleaned little hole in main jet as suggested... still runs 10-15 seconds and pops out the muffler and dies... on full throttle... would bad spark plug do this ? figure it would not run cold with bad plug.. or how bout old oil ? could the magneto be bad ? Im out of options

NY

12-11-11, 01:26 PM   #7  
The fuel system consists of more than the jets! There are passageways inside the carburetor that can and will clog up. How, specifically, did you "clean" your carb? When you had the carb disassembled how did the body of it appear? Any ethanol etching noticed? Another problem is that you have a bang out the exhaust and this, generally, indicates an ignition system breakdown. Do you have an inline spark tester to watch while you run the engine?

WI

01-01-12, 01:42 PM   #8  
Solved problem

After talking to a blower tech at my nearby hardware store he told me to check the valve clearance... wa la !!! valves needed to be ground down.. valves were not closing all the way.. set to specs and she runs awesome.. pass it on !

Search this Thread