10 HP Tecumseh No Compression

Old 12-11-11, 06:36 PM
10 HP Tecumseh No Compression

Hello,

Looks like I am gonig to have to take the motor off.

Engine number is HMSK100 159243t

There is no compression on this engine. Snowblower itself is in great condition.

I would like to take my first kick at the can on a rebuild.

My question is two fold.

1) Does anyone have a real good manual on taking the engine apart and doing a rebuild?

2) Is there a standard engine rebuild kit that can be bought which includes rings, and head gasket etc?

Just asking. Id like to finally do a rebuild.

thank you,

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-11, 05:57 AM
Of course you may simply have a valve hung up or with no clearance thereby giving you the no compression. What is the serial (DOM) number of the engine? Did you actually perform a compression test or did you use the thumb method? If you had a leak-down tester you could better determine where your trouble lies before you even take the head off. There is no rebuild "kit" other than a short block otherwise it is a repair with individual parts, as needed where needed.

Old 12-21-11, 10:13 PM
I have bought good manuals online (eBay) for both Kohler & Briggs & Stratton so I'm betting you can find Tecumseh ones as well. None of them were very expensive.
As for the rebuild, there may not be much you need to do but just clean it up. You should be able to just buy the parts you need that may be bad. Hone the cylinder walls & slap some new rings & valve seals in it.
What's the history on this? Have you always owned it? Ran great for years & just stopped?

TexasFire

Good luck on your repair, there really isn't a whole lot to these engines. Make good notes, keep your hardware ID'ed & separated & take lots of pictures with a digital camera as you tear it down, makes for great reference on linkages etc...