Snowblower Issues, please help!!

Old 12-16-11, 09:36 AM
Snowblower Issues, please help!!

Hi,

I started using the snowblower last week after our first significant snowfall. It worked fine for a while but then all of a sudden the engine sound changed to a more muffled sound and it started to backfire.
It mostly backfires after having gone through snow when I take a pause to let it idle but something isn't right even when its at load, almost like it isn't turning at full speed. I also noticed that the muffler appears to have a larger hole where the small holes are and there is like a small blue flame coming out of it at times.

Could this be just a bad spark plug or am I looking at something else?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-11, 09:57 AM
Group Moderator
Is it backfiring out the carburetor or the exhaust? I assume it's just the exhaust. A new, properly gaped, spark plug will not hurt but I don't think it will solve your problem.

There are several possible causes for backfiring. The timing could be off though it is more common with push lawnmowers after hitting something with the blade. The carburetor could need cleaning or adjustment and/or your valves may need adjusting or you could have a valve sticking.

The hole in the muffler, does it look like part of the muffler is rusted and has fallen away or is it a nice round hole like there should be a bolt?

Old 12-16-11, 10:14 AM
Backfire is out of the muffler. The hole just appears a result of rust and not a missing part or bolt.

"
There are several possible causes for backfiring. The timing could be off though it is more common with push lawnmowers after hitting something with the blade. The carburetor could need cleaning or adjustment and/or your valves may need adjusting or you could have a valve sticking.
"

How would I go about checking any of the above issues in order of simplicity? I am fairly ok at mechanical things with good instructions. I would appreciate if you could perhaps give me some insight as to how you would tackle this?
As I had stated the problem appeared so suddenly that it's like something just suddenly changed in the environment... There was no gas in the tank at the start of the season so it started off with fresh gas but maybe something got dry???

Old 12-16-11, 11:20 AM
Group Moderator
When in doubt, especially with something that gets seasonal use, I suspect the fuel system & carburetor. Shine a flashlight into the fuel tank and see if there is any sediment or chunks floating around. If so I would thoroughly clean the inside of the fuel tank. When doing that I also replace the fuel line since it's so cheap and you need so little. Then I would remove the carburetor, disassemble and soak it overnight in cleaner (you can buy at most auto parts stores). The next day I blow out all the little passages with spray carb. cleaner and reassemble the carb. If you don't have or don't want to get a can of soak (about $20 I think) then do everything else and you might get lucky.

If your carburetor has adjustment screws. Before disassembly gently screw the adjustment screws in until they just stop and count the number of turns (you'll probably have something like 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 turns) and write it down. Do not tighten. Only turn until you feel resistance of it hitting bottom. Then go ahead and remove. Then when you reassemble the carb you run them back in until they lightly touch and use the number you wrote down to tell you how many turns to back up, which will hopefully get you pretty close for the mixture.

Old 12-16-11, 11:29 AM
Ok I will try these things. Thanks for the insight and I hope I can get it back to normal and it just doesn't quit on me when in a snow storm

Old 12-20-11, 09:45 AM
What make, model and serial of the machine? What make and ID numbers of the engine?

Old 01-04-12, 02:38 PM
Sorry it took so long but after further checking, i found that my muffler was blown though (hole directly in front of exhaust hole on motor). My dad installed a temp muffler that screws right into the exhaust hole and it works fine, sounds of backfire were just the normal pops just sounded louder since it was straight out the motor....
thanks for your help everyone!!

Search this Thread