Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Leaking Gas out of Breather Tube

NY

12-23-11, 08:07 AM   #1  
Leaking Gas out of Breather Tube

I acquired a GX160 Honda Snowblower for a great price....

When I purchased it, it fired up, maintainedup except that the gas would leak out of the breather tube until empty...

Sat in my garage for a good year and I've started working on it.
Assuming bad needle, float as when I removed the dipstick - oil just started coming out (gas in oil I presume due to overfill capacity).

Drained oil.
Fresh oil.
Checked plug and it's clean.

I did not have any carb cleaner at home so instead of driving out to deal with the card, I swapped carbs with a working clean carb off another GX160.
Very hard to start.
I've gotten her to start maybe 3 times, with it only to last about 30 seconds at max.
Another thing I noticed, while pulling on the starter, even without the engine igniting, gas started coming out of the breather tube. A good bit I would say.

Thoughs, suggestions
OPE noob here

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-23-11, 11:08 AM   #2  
It's still a carb problem. The only way for gas to reach the breather is for it to get past the needle valve in the carb. It's possible that the gas you're getting now was still in the breather from the last carb I suppose. How does it run when it does run? Black smoke and stumbling?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

12-23-11, 11:27 AM   #3  
I can't even get it to turn over anymore...

It was stumbling with white smoke for about 10 secs.
Then it idles out, gains power for about 20 secs before cutting out.

Been messing with thinking it's flooded, but no plug and starter pull has nothing on the
rags I put by the hole.

I swapped plugs just for the hell of it and no dice.

Stumped. Next steps ?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-24-11, 06:21 AM   #4  
Try putting a little gas into the spark plug hole and put the plug back in and see if it will start for a moment. If so, you know it has gone from getting too much fuel to not enough.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread