Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

917-271080 16hp Craftsman Riding Mower Kohler Engine surges

PA

01-06-12, 03:59 PM   #1  
917-271080 16hp Craftsman Riding Mower Kohler Engine surges

I have a 16hp Kohler Engine on a Craftsman lawn tractor. It starts fine, runs fine, and has plenty of power. The issue is that when it is low RPM, the engine surges RPM up and down. It also does so at high RPM if not under load but is a lot less noticable.

I have rebuilt the carb making sure the openings were all clear. I pulled the aluminum plug and cleaned out the two holes. I replaced the plug. I also have replaced the needle valve and installed new gaskets. The filter is fine with a flow rate of about 1/4 gallon per minute.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-06-12, 08:47 PM   #2  
It is still a restriction in the carb. Not sure where. Get a twist tie from a bread bag and pull the wire out of it, then run it through all passages in the carb, including the holes in the side of the carb where the throttle plate closes against the throat wall. This is commonly where the restriction occurs. Also run it through the brass tube in the center of the carb.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread