Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

MTD 42 Drive Pedal Adjustment

Non-US

01-06-12, 05:02 PM   #1  
MTD 42 Drive Pedal Adjustment

Hi,
I have just replaced the drive belt on my MTD 42 mower serial no. 13ak608g129. This required a drive pedal adjustment on completion. The issue I have is once in forward or reverse the mower starts moving without using the drive pedal. I have made adjustments as per the owners manual but still have the same problem. Can anyone help me out with a solution.

Also the brake does not appear do anything other than act as a park brake. What adjustment if any can I do to ensure the brakes work when required.

Warren

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-06-12, 09:20 PM   #2  
Does it just creep a little, or is it fully engaged? Sometimes with stiff new belts, a little creeping is normal for the first few hours. If it's more than that, something is wrong, either belt size, pulley issues, adjustment issues or ?? They rarely need to be adjusted when you replace the belt. Usually if adjustment is needed, it's because something isn't right.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Non-US

01-08-12, 04:10 AM   #3  
It moves a bit faster than a creep. The belt is loose enough to pull around the pulleys when the pedal is not engaged. The belt is stiff. It is not a genuine MTD, but a replacement for their part no. The belts were the same diameter, hard to compare the cross section due to amount of wear on the old belt. Everything looks OK with everything in the right place.
I thought if I mowed the grass for a couple of hours like you said it would help, but I found out the foot brake didn't stop or slow down the mower which could be dangerous as there is now to stop it. I have to work out how to adjust the brake as well.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-08-12, 08:53 PM   #4  
The brake isn't strong enough to stop it if the belt is turning the transmission pulley. You can tighten the nut on the side of the transmission where the brake arm attaches to adjust up the brake, but it will overheat and burn up the brake if the tranny pulley is still turning and pulling the mower. Aftermarket belts on MTD products is risky. The pitch angle of the belts aren't always the same. MTDs use funny sized belts and widths and pitches that are specific only to their products.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread