John Deer LTD 155 draining the battery

Old 01-11-12, 12:16 PM
John Deer LTD 155 draining the battery

My JD wouldn't start so I replaced the selenoid. That fixed the starting problem. Then, I thought the 3 yr old battery was dead so I replaced it. One mow and the battery was dead again. Something is draining the battery. My first thought is to replace the starter. Since it's 12 years old I also thought to replace the wiring harness. Any thoughts on what it could be?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-12, 07:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You need to test the electrical system to see if the battery is being charged when the engine is running. You also need to check for discharge when the engine is off.

Wiring harness and starter should not be a problem.

I think that your model is an LT155, not LTD 155, but I've been wrong before.

Old 01-11-12, 08:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Replacing the starter and harness will only remove benjamins from your wallet. Charge the battery and disconnect the negative cable. Connect a test light from the negative post to the negative cable. If the test light comes on with the mower key off, then there is a short or drain on the battery. Unplug various things until you find the item that makes the light go off. This will narrow the problem down.

Old 01-19-12, 01:35 PM
Lt 155

You are right, it's a LT 155. fingers don't work sometimes. Thanks for the responses, I'll try it. Always hard trying to find electrical problems.