Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Snow Thrower Issues

WY

01-18-12, 12:40 PM   #1  
Snow Thrower Issues

I have a little Murray snow thrower that is about 10 years old. It hasn't ran for the past 3 or so years. Today I decided since i had time i would get it running. I cleaned the spark plug and put starting fluid in and it would start but choke off. I noticed on the wall of my garage some green fluid sprayed all over from the exhaust or something. I was assuming that it was the starting fluid. I then dumped the fuel tank and put fresh fuel in. After awhile it would start and stay running. When I turn the choke off it makes a spitting noise that can be seen by like a poof and seems to run really fast.
There is a access port for the bowl and that green liquid was dripping out of there and into the bottom of the snowblower. It starts first pull though.

I have little experiance with small engines, so im not quite sure what to do. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

01-19-12, 08:08 AM   #2  
Letting an engine sit with gas in it is a sure fire way to gunk up the carburetor. Remove the carburetor, soak it and give it a thorough cleaning. It's also a good idea to clean the inside of the fuel tank and replace the fuel line to prevent flakes of varnish from vibrating loose and re-clogging the carb.

The crud sprayed on the wall was most likely old, bad gasoline & crud. The green color may have come from copper leached out of something brass in the carb. Starting fluid is mainly ether which is clear.

WY

01-19-12, 08:18 AM   #3  
Okay thanks. Do I just unbolt the carberator? What should I soak it in? It was treated with stabil before we quit using it, so I'm not sure if that matters

Group Moderator

NC

01-19-12, 08:32 AM   #4  
Pay careful attention to everything you disassemble. Take pictures if necessary so you can put it all back together when you are done. But yes, unbolt the carburetor but first you will have to remove things like the air filter and throttle and choke linkages.

Stabil helps prevent varnish from forming but it does not work forever and it does not prevent the gas from loosing it's finer hydrocarbons which make it easier to ignite. Even if varnish does not form you eventually end up with a fuel that does not ignite easily enough for the engine (it begins to act more like diesel fuel).

WY

01-19-12, 08:38 AM   #5  
Okay great. This will help the spitting then? Do I need a carb rebuild kit or anything? Is this something someone with little experiance can do?

Group Moderator

NC

01-19-12, 09:33 AM   #6  
If the parts of the carb are in good condition than you can do it without a re-build kit, but a kit would not hurt. Yes, most anyone with some patience and attention to detail can do it. It's not rocket science but you are taking stuff apart and it is important to put it back together the same way. That's where the pictures can be a big help.

If you find any adjustable jets or needle valves, before removing them, gently screw them in (turn clockwise) until they stop counting the number of turns (and write it down). Do not tighten. You are just feeling when it bottoms out so you can set it to the same position when you put the carb back together.

If you are nervous about disassembling the carb. first you can try simply removing it from the engine and remove the bowl from the bottom. The spray all nooks, crannies and passages with spray carb. cleaner. Sometimes you get lucky. It does not hurt to wear glasses since spraying into one passage can cause it to come squirting back at you from another hole. When you have the carb. in your hand look through the throat of it. You will see little holes. You are trying to get those, the passages leading to them clean.

WY

01-23-12, 05:45 PM   #7  
So I took the carb off and took it apart. I sprayed everything with carb cleaner let it soak then blowed it out with my air compressor. I put everything back together and cleaned the gas tank. It seems to be doing the same stuff. Not really spitting but phases in and out then chokes off. Any ideas?

Group Moderator

NC

01-24-12, 04:35 AM   #8  
Still sounds like a carburetor problem.

Search this Thread