Snowblower blows!!

Old 01-13-01, 08:09 PM
SteelPanther
Visiting Guest
I have an older model Toro 726 with a 7 hp briggs engine on it, it is an ok machine besides after i have it running for about 15 it will start to sputter but will still run but has a very significant loss of power, especially when put under load , then it will die on me but does start right up again, but still with the loss of power.?????? And then i leave it sit till the next time i have to use it and it fires up right away then after 15 min same old same old almost could set my watch to it.. Ty in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-01, 08:59 PM
Admin Emeritus
Lightbulb Gas Cap Vent Plugged

Hi:SteelPanther

The problem discription sounds like there is a restricted air vent in the gas cap. Try running the engine until the problem just starts reoccuring, except this time quickly remove the gas tank fuel cap.

If the cap has a plugged or restricted vent hole, when you remove it this time, the engine will recover and continue to run fine.

If the test proves the vent hole is the cause, remove the inner seal and located the vent hole using a flash light. When light shines thru the very tiny hole, you have cleared it. Reinstall the inner seal and all should be fine.

Another item to check is fuel flow to the carb. Carefully remove the fuel line at the carb and allow fuel to flow into a quart fuel safe container.

It should flow freely and continue for several seconds to be considered okay. If not, look for a restriction somewhere in the fuel system.

Old 01-15-01, 04:42 AM
Fisher
Visiting Guest
Sounds more like a valve problem. When the valve
faces get worn enough, your clearances are not
enough. The remedy would be a proper valve job,
but grinding the valve stems for proper clearance
might get you by for a short while. Just a guess
let me know if I can help.
Fish

Old 01-15-01, 06:37 PM
Visiting Guest
I have seen several problems like this. As fisher says it may be a valve problem, but then it would also start harder. What I myself have seen is that the piston rings are getting wore out. the engine may start and run fine at first, but in just a few minutes when its hot, compression is lost due to the rings. But before you condem it to the scrap heap, start with the simplist trouble shooting, as tom has said, possible a vacuum builing in the fuel tank.

Old 01-21-01, 12:07 AM
SteelPanther
Visiting Guest
I have been working outside with the snow blower and have noticed one thing after trying the vent hole thing i was running my fingers around the head and felt air being pushed out between the head and jug somewhere on the right hand side. could a new head gasket solve that problem and wouldve that affecte the crappy running?

Old 01-21-01, 06:04 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hi:SteelPanther

Your reply doesn't mention if the removal of the gas cap corrected, improved or had no effect??? What happened?

How about fuel flow? Did you check that? If so, what were the results?

It helps if you post the results of what you did and what happened when trying any offered suggestions. This way we could offer more in depth suggestions.

The air blowing out and over the head is normal. It cools the engine. Don't mess with that.

In regards to the valves, another area I do not suggest you attempt any repairs to. Same for the head gasket.

If it was either of these two areas causing the problem you discribed, neither is repairable without special tools to do the job correctly.

{{{To cover as many bases as possible, for others who might post alternate suggestions, you might be able to replace the head gasket without using a torque wrench during the re-assembly. However, that isn't the correct method nor would it correct the problem your engine has.}}}

You might try cleaning the around the carb and it's linkage. The governor linkage movement could be restricted by debris. I do not recommend you adjust anything in this area either.

Old 01-21-01, 07:54 AM
Fisher
Visiting Guest
A blown head gasket is quite possible. Before we try to
get into it I need engine model numbers. A 7 h.p. Briggs
could be quite old, but it could also be a newer OHV. Since
you said it was old, then your unit may have points. And
yes, an engine without proper valve clearances could do
exactly what your engine is doing. It starts and runs fine
untill the valve expands, then you lose power, then stall.

Cool down an hour and it will do it again. Give me engine
model numbers and I will try to help you. All three sets.
Fish