Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman Riding Mower Won't fire

AL

01-21-12, 02:56 PM   #1  
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't fire

Last season my mower would not crank and the problem was the ethanol had gummed up a little plunger part that I removed and freed up and it crank. Today I went thru the same process, as it was gummed up again but it would not crank. I took the spark plug out and there was no gas getting to the spark plug and needless to say, it was not firing.
Appreciate any help on this!!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-21-12, 07:32 PM   #2  
Sounds like the carburetor needs to be cleaned.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

AL

01-24-12, 08:03 AM   #3  
Sorry about the delay, I was expecting a notification in my email that I had a reply.
Thanks for the reply.
How in depth and how do I go about cleaning the carb?
I was wondering if lines are clogged (gummed) up by the ethanol. How would I go about cleaning them if that is the case?
Thanks again and looking forward to your reply.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-24-12, 05:28 PM   #4  
It's hard to say not knowing what engine you have. I'd say start out with a can of carb cleaner from the auto parts place and a wire out of a twist tie on a bread bag and take the bowl off, clean it out, spray out the carburetor inside and up through where the fuel shutoff solenoid screws in. Run the wire through the hole in the center so that it comes out in the throat of the carb, and poke it through the hole in the side of the post that drops down the bottom of the carb.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

AL

01-28-12, 06:59 AM   #5  
Hi Cheese. Bought some carb cleaner and when I removed the solenoid, gas came out of the carb which it did not before. I figured the new gas that I put in had eaten away at the gum and put the solenoid back in and it cranked right up.
You had the right idea though, it was the carb needed cleaning, just the new gas did it for me after setting a few days.
Before I restored it, I made sure to run all of the gas out of it.
Thanks so much for you help!!

Search this Thread