Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Pressure washer oil (amount)

NY

02-15-12, 10:58 AM   #1  
Pressure washer oil (amount)

Just scored a Craftsman 2100PSI 5.0hp pressure washer on CL (model: 580.767100) for $25. Seller said it ran fine (which it does), but when you release the trigger after spraying, the motor dies. I figured a decent running 5 hp motor was worth $25, so I grabbed it.

From what he's describing, and my exhaustive searching through this wonderful forum, I believe it's time for a new unloader valve (after I check the nozzle & fitting for blockages or leaks). I've never done it before, but it doesn't look terribly difficult...and this is the kind of challenge us DIYer's live for.

One think I can't seem to find: when I'm done, how much oil do I put in the case? From the videos I've seen on YT, it looks like maybe 1/8 qt or so. Is there a "fill line" I should look for?

Thanx! Wally

Sponsored Links

NY

02-15-12, 12:07 PM   #2  
The washer

It's possible that the unloader [pressure relief] valve is repaireable or cleanable, It's just a spring, valve & seat, and a threaded adjustment screw. I would also check the throttle linkage for free travel and both fuel adjustment screws, and
maybe put a little gumout in the gas tank, nothing to loose.
Sid

NY

02-15-12, 02:34 PM   #3  
The washer

I forgot about the oil question. If the pump has a sight glass, with the engine off, and the machine almost perfictly level, theoil level ehould be at the enter of the glass or if there is a line on the glass up to the line.
Sid

NY

02-16-12, 08:34 AM   #4  
Thanx Sid!

I thought about just cleaning the valve, but it seems they go bad pretty often, and for $18 (locally)...I figured it's worth replacing. As far as the engine...it appears to be working perfect (including the throttle linkage).

You mentioned a "threaded adjustment screw", and I know this valve is sometimes adjustable, but in looking at the pictures of this one (B&S #187879GS)...I don't see any adjustment on it. I just figured this one didn't adjust. I'll try to attch the pics below. Am I missing it?

Valve 187879GS Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Thanx! Wally

MO

02-16-12, 08:59 AM   #5  
I would suggest running the pump for a few seconds with the unloader removed to blow out any debris that may be blocking the passage from the input side, I lost the screen from the input and a bug or bugs decided to take up residence or were in the garden hose, anyway I ended up with a pump full of bug parts that kept blocking the unloader, so make sure the screen remains in place. Have a good one. Geo

Search this Thread