Changing a throttle cable on a yard bug

Old 03-03-12, 12:10 PM
Changing a throttle cable on a yard bug

I removed the defective cable and purchased a oem replacement. My trouble came when trying to install the new cable. I can't get my hands in there to make the cable connect. I removed the left rear wheel, but still no luck. Do I need to remove the deck?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-12, 06:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not sure what problem you're having... You can't connect the cable to the throttle control on the engine? If so, I don't see how removing the deck from under the mower will help.

Old 03-03-12, 08:27 PM
Sorry, the cable is for the transmission. Forward-N-reverse.

Old 03-03-12, 10:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Oh, the shift cable. I have changed that before on those little things. I remember it not being easy, but I don't remember how I did it. I remember taking a bracket off that the cable snaps into and it was mounted on the tranny. There were two cables, one pulls from one direction, and the other from the other. All I can remember about it was that removing that bracket allowed me to get it on. I didn't remove the deck I'm pretty sure.

Old 03-04-12, 07:34 AM
OK, thank you for your input. I also removed that little piece(2Bolts) but no luck getting any more room for my hands. One last idea. There is a pully wheel very close with a belt on it. If I remove that pully wheel might that help get more room? Thanks again. Wait, one more thing. I am trying to get at this from the left rear wheel area, Do you remember coming at it from there or from the bottom?

Old 03-05-12, 11:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't remember. Seems like I did most of the work from the top side with the seat/hood thing flipped over to the side and the basket removed from the top of the deck. I can't swear to it though, I do remember it being a pain in the rear. Can you pull the cotter pin out of the shifter on the tranny and gain more access to it?

Old 03-08-12, 02:27 PM
Thanks again for the input. I will keep plugging away.

Old 03-20-12, 02:15 PM
Hi there,

I have the some problem with my transmission cable. I was in Reverse , then went into Forward . Now its stuck in Forward.

Can you please advise how you fixed the problem.

Thank you in advance.