Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Yardman Riding lawn mower won't crank

TX

03-07-12, 11:18 AM   #1  
Yardman Riding lawn mower won't crank

I have a 2007 yardman 46" riding lawn Mower mtd, Briggs and Stratton engine. Mower had been sitting since last year. The mower will not crank. I replaced the battery. Wouldn't crank so then I replaced solenoid and small 20 amp fuse. Wouldn't crank. Then tested starter and replaced with new starter. Wouldn't crank but this time at least the starter spins but does not engage the flywheel to turn the moter. The starter is the right size but when I turn the key the starter seems to just spin as not having enough power to turn the engine. After replacing the battery, fuse, solenoid, starter I don't know where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

03-07-12, 12:03 PM   #2  
So, do you mean the starter does not even engage the flywheel or that it does engage the flywheel but cant turn the engine? In the mean time try removing the spark plug and see if the starter will turn the engine over.

TX

03-07-12, 12:28 PM   #3  
The starter does not turn the flywheel. The starter turns. (the small "toothed" mechanism that sets up to the flywheel slides up and down the starter not turning the flywheel. I rotate the flywheel by hand and it has motion. I know the starter was bad before because the starter wouldn't even spin before, so that's why I replaced he starter. I replaced the sparkplug as well. When i initIally replaced the spark plug it looked like gas or water spilled out from where the spark plug goes. It sat outside this past year and was rained on, so I let it dry out before replacing the spark plug. Still wouldn't crank. It just seems that the starter lacks power. Should I see if I drained the battery. Still has warranty maybe go swap it out for a new one.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-07-12, 07:12 PM   #4  
Are you 100% sure the battery isn't connected backwards?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Group Moderator

NC

03-08-12, 04:53 AM   #5  
It is possible you have drained the battery. Have you charged the battery?

Have you tried removing the spark plug to see if the starter would turn the motor over with the plug removed? If it will not turn the motor over then I'll go with cheese that you may have the batter hooked up backwards or the battery is almost dead and needs to be charged.

Search this Thread