Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs and Straton Engine wont start. Just backfires.

GA

03-08-12, 09:31 AM   #1  
Briggs and Straton Engine wont start. Just backfires.

Got a Briggs and Straton engine about 3 years old. Still fairly new. Only used 2 seasons. Sat up this past winter and now won't start. Tried cleaning the plug, checking the gap. Did a spark test. Gas line fine. Gas valve in on position. Tried starter fluid. Will turn over but won't start. Only backfire. Grass grows so fast in South GA. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Jpm0181; 03-08-12 at 09:50 AM.

Sponsored Links

IL

03-08-12, 09:52 AM   #2  
would bet on carburator gummed up if it was running when you put it away, need to disassemble and clean it and start with fresh fuel. quite often the idle port and fuel vent will plug up and the backfire is caused by too much fuel at the wrong time. Hope this helps.

GA

03-08-12, 09:59 AM   #3  
Thank you so much. I will definitely give it a shot! I'm not a mechanic but I do know that engines need certain things to run and I've checked all these with no luck.

Group Moderator

NC

03-08-12, 12:37 PM   #4  
An engine needs fuel, compression and fire to run and fuel (carburetor) is always my #1 suspect.

First, dump out any old fuel and disconnect the fuel line at the carb. Put some fresh gas in and let it run through to flush out the line. Then put it back together and fill with fresh gas. If it does not run I'd pull the carb off, disassemble and clean it.

Oh, and put the starting fluid away. It's OK for one very tiny shot to verify that you have compression and spark but it's pretty hard on the engine.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

03-09-12, 07:30 AM   #5  
Did it start when you tried the starter fluid?
If not, you likely have other issues than fuel.

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

Search this Thread