Craftsman mower acts like it's starving for gas

Old 03-08-12, 03:31 PM
Craftsman mower acts like it's starving for gas

I have a Craftsman LT2000 mower. we have changed plugs, filter (gas and air) and the mower still wont run. It turns over but just don't fire. Did put little gas in carb. and it ran a few seconds and cut off. Gas is coming out of the gas line from the filter where it goes into something (sorry can't find what it is called) that screws to side of motor.Took the gas line off coming out out the other side which runs down to carb. no gas came out. It that little thing I don't know the name of has anything to do with the gas? I do know the line that the gas filter is on goes inside of it an another is on the other side that runs to carb. Any ideas?
Thanks
It's a 22 ohv briggs

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-12, 03:54 PM
Group Moderator
Kind of sounds like the float needle might be stuck to the seat, inside your carburetor float bowl. Doesn't take much to unstick it. Unscrew the float bowl but be careful not to change the setting on the fuel adjustment if it's like I'm imagining. (the screw w/spring) If the needle is stuck the float bowl will be dry. When you jiggle the float and unstick the needle, fuel should start coming down, at which point you can put the float bowl back on.

Old 03-08-12, 06:00 PM
do you have any idea what I am talking about where the gasline leaving gas filter going through this metal thing and another gas line connected to it that runs to carb.? I just wan to know what it is called since I can't find it anywhere to tell me. I guess we will probably take it to someone my husband afrais to mess with carb. but thanks. I can send a picture if it will help

Old 03-08-12, 07:23 PM
Sounds like the fuel pump, go to partsdirect.com and enter the model number, you will find the IPL for your mower. Have a good one. Geo

Old 03-08-12, 08:43 PM
Where is the fuel pump located at?

Old 03-08-12, 10:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The fuel pump is the thing you're trying to find a name for.

Old 03-09-12, 02:03 AM
Craftsman LT200 Lawnmower

After reading your post I hope I can help. That little thing that your fuel line goes into is called the fuel pump. It is a critical part when it comes to delivering fuel from the tank to the carburetor. On the LT 2000 series with a 22hp motor, the fuel pump is non rebuildable. If gas does not squirt out of the carburetor side of the fuel pump when the engine is trying to start, then, the fuel pump is defective and must be replaced. Good news ! It is not a costly item. Hope I was helpful. One other thing to consider as extremely important is: There are three hoses connected to the fuel pump. Be sure to mark each hose prior to removal and install in exactly the same place from where removed. One hose comes from the fuel tank, a second hose connects to the pump and goes to the carburetor, a third hose is a vacumm hose which routes around the front of the motor and connects to the breather.This is for emissions control. Happy DIY. When purchasing the part be sure you have the model number and description of your mower.

Last edited by GeoT789; 03-09-12 at 02:31 AM. Reason: In Title it should read Craftsman LT2000 Lawnmower
Old 03-09-12, 07:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
a third hose is a vacumm hose which routes around the front of the motor and connects to the breather.This is for emissions control.
The third hose is a vacuum hose, but it is not for emissions, it uses crank case vacuum to operate the diaphragm fuel pump.

Old 03-09-12, 08:11 AM
Thanks so much going to try again to make sure no gas is coming from the pump to carb. before we go buy it. Glad to know what it is called anyway. Check price and it is not a bad price. I am thankful for the help that anyone has ever giving us. These forums rock. Hugs to all of you. Let you know if this was the problem.

Old 03-09-12, 02:10 PM
Went an got fuel pump and put it on. Good news is gas is coming from the fuel pump now on the carb. Bad news still was crank. Guess it's in carb.

Old 03-26-12, 04:12 PM
help

Ok had a friend who knew how to do carb. on mower so he rebuild it for us. Cranked fine. The next time he went to crank the mower it wouldn't start unless he poured gas in carb. Sometimes it cranks on it's own and he said it runs link a new mower the next time you got to put gas in carb. to get it to start. Any ideas. The guy that did the carb. has no clue what to look for now.

Old 03-26-12, 06:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like the choke is not adjusted properly.

Old 03-27-12, 11:43 AM
ok guess i will have to take it back to someone. I sure don't know how to adjust it