6.75hp Eager1 22" cut carb. questions "help"

Old 03-03-12, 07:04 AM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
6.75hp Eager1 22" cut carb. questions "help"

My 6.75 Eager1 has a carb problem. Engine mod is: 143.006706.
The motor will start with start fluid but die quickly. Believe it is not getting gas as it should. In the diagram there are two O rings on the plastic pipe that fits into the center hole in the bowl. Mine only has one on the bottom! Is the one on the top required? I am aware there is a spring under this pipe! Next, I read where there is an O ring that causes problems where the drain plug is located on the bowl. I take out the drain plug screw and see a spring in there. How to you go about removing the spring and associated parts in there? Afraid to pry in there but will if needs be. The carb is not dirty, I have run wire thru drain plug area and it is not plugged, air moves thru that area. Believe O rings are the problem, just need to know how to get to the one in the drain plug area, plus if 2 are required on the plastic tube.

Old 03-03-12, 07:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Not sure what you mean by drain plug. Is it the bowl nut that holds the bowl onto the carb, or a separate drain on the bowl? Those have springs too. Take the bowl nut off and clean it well. There is a tiny hole near the top in an un-threaded section that needs to be cleaned. That is usually the problem on these carbs. The top o-ring on the carb is probably still stuck up in the carb.

Old 03-03-12, 09:05 AM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
That engine has a series 7 carb, the easiest solution is to replace the bowl assembly as a unit, snap the old one off and the new one on. It seems some of these carbs have a "O" ring at the top and some don't, the "O" ring at the base flattens out over time and shuts off the fuel flow. To remove them I create a small hook on the end of a paper clip. Have a good one. Geo

Old 03-03-12, 06:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Oh yeah, thanks Geogrubb, I had the other style carb in mind and forgot about the plastic ones. Agreed about the o-ring in the base. It's behind the jet in the drain hole. That's usually the problem.

Old 03-05-12, 02:34 PM
X
Thought I had it licked...took off the bowl and found the o-ring that fits on the bottom of the stem that goes right down the center of the carb (by the spring) was flat and I replaced with one I had in my fishing reel repair box. About the same size but did notice it got harder to push the rod it is attached to into the center of the carb. Checked all other areas via small wire and they were all open, checked the float jet seat and it appeared pliable and in good shape, took apart the main jet located in the hole the bowl drain screw come out of and it all seemed to be ok. Fired her up and started on the 3rd pull. Did seem to have a miss now and then but cut the whole yard...wow! Got up this a.m. and decided to run it. It started then started to die. I got to the primer bulb before it did and goosed her a bit and rpm picked up. Then started to stall again. Found if I held "in" the primer bulb it ran fine. Am sure it is not getting enough gas. It seems there is NO float adjustment on this carb which leads me to believe the o-ring I put on the plastic shaft that runs down the middle of the carb is the culprit. My question is: How easy should that plastic shaft that runs down the middle of the carb move up and down? Is the spring on the bottom nothing more than a spacer to keep the shaft from bottoming out? My opinion for the purpose of the o-ring on the bottom is to block off gas on the outside of the shaft thus making it draw up thru the shaft...am I correct? A new or newer bottom half prob. is the answer but this mower has seen so few hours it is hard to believe it's worn out already. Tnx for the replys so far and look forward to more help/answers.

Old 03-05-12, 04:12 PM
G
I think you are experiencing why people replace the bowl unit as a whole. I will try to address some of your post. First the "O" rings must be the proper size, if too large they will roll behind the retainer when you insert the nozzle, if too small they will not seal the fuel flow, I think there are holes in the shaft of the nozzle that can get clogged also. Yes there is some resistance when the nozzle is inserted, use some lube on the "O" ring. Replace the "O" rings with the proper ones. I think the one behing the main jet at the bottom is the problem. Have a good one. Geo

Old 03-06-12, 06:38 AM
X
U might be right. Think the o rings I used might be virgin rubber which gas will attack. Will look for proper o rings and give her another try. Found a "kit" is no longer avail. thru Searsparts.com. Tnx for the help.

Old 03-20-12, 07:46 AM
X
Decided to replace the bowl and associated parts as a whole. Did that yesterday at a cost of $25.00 and after installation on the 4th pull the mower started and is running like a new one. The mower repair shop did say that the "O" rings are the problem, but they no longer make an "O" ring kit but rather the entire bowl assembly. Back in business so money well spent. Tnx for all the input on my problem.

Old 03-20-12, 08:32 AM
G
Success is a wonderful sound. Have a good one. Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: