Tecumseh surging

Old 03-23-12, 06:25 PM
Tecumseh surging

hi look i picked up a riding mower from a friend of mine and its driving me crazy trying to figure out whats wrong with it he told me it sat up for about two years without running it so i started out changing the spark plug new air filter new fuel filter new battery i drained the old gas out i took the carburetor apart found there was water in it so i cleaned that out i changed the needle and seat but it continues to rev up and down and backfires someone told me to clean the magneatos which i have done but no difference its a 13'5 tecumseh i have no problem starting it or it dying anyone with info would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-12, 07:14 PM
First welcome to the forum.
Second you have hooked on to a thread that is 10yrs old(most people won't look at it).
Third you need to post the numbers for the engine usually stamped in the shroud by the spark plug.
Now I will guess and say the problem is the bowl nut(main jet) it has several holes in it depending on the style, there is a tiny hole at the top on most that is usually the problem(almost invisible on some) I clean it with the wire from a twist tie. Have a good one. Geo

Old 03-23-12, 07:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I made this a thread of it's own, instead of tagged onto a 10 year old thread about snowblowers.

I agree, Geo has you on the right track.

Old 03-24-12, 07:05 PM
Done that today there was one hole clogged cleaned it out but still having the same problem I may leave the carb soak overnite and try again hopefully that helps but thanks I'll put the numbers u need on tomorrow

Old 03-25-12, 12:33 PM
Talking

I have a couple of small Tecumseh's and both of them had Carb trouble.
One had a hole in the float. I found out that was real common with the Tecumseh engines.
Also its an unusually efficient design in the carb, no adjustable jets.
But it has little tiny passages that clog. Some are hidden under little rubber plugs.

With both my Carbs, soaking them overnight in Chem-tool solved those clogged holes.

An aside:
Did you ever wonder how those tiny little holes were made into the Carb's?
I wonder if it's a drilled hole or some other way?
Anybody?

Old 03-25-12, 01:07 PM
Hey here are the numbers u asked for model # ov358ea spec# 20694og

Old 03-25-12, 01:39 PM
That engine has a series 7 carb which are a little different from other Tec carbs, the easiest repair is to replace the bowl assemble, snap the old one off and the new one on and you are finished. The "O" ring behind the main jet is usually the problem, it flattens out and shuts off the fuel flow also the "O" rings on the nozzle also crumble and leak, finding the proper size "O" rings can be a problem. Below is a link for repair instructions. Have a good one. Geo

Disassembly, Cleaning and Repair of Tecumseh Series 7 Carburetor

Old 03-29-12, 04:27 PM
So i replaced the carburetor and im still having the same problem

Old 03-29-12, 08:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is it a new carb?

Old 03-30-12, 04:25 AM
Yes brand new carb i dont understand whats going on it starts very easy just continues to surge i dont know what else it could be

Old 03-30-12, 09:30 AM
Surging is normally a lean condition, while it is running spray/dribble some brake parts/carb cleaner behind the carb and along the intake mating surfaces if the engine tempo changes you have an air leak and can take the appropriate action. Have a good one. Geo

Old 03-30-12, 09:55 AM
Group Moderator
Keith: Please use some punctuation in your posts, your current style is difficult to read.
Thanks

Old 03-30-12, 04:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you transfer a part from the old carb to the new one? Surging is from not getting enough fuel. The carburetor delivers the fuel. If the gaskets and seals from the carb to the engine are good and sealed, then the carburetor is pretty much all that is left.

Old 03-30-12, 06:11 PM
Hello Keith,

Try to stabilize the engine R.P.M. by holding in one position the solid link between the governor arm and the carburetor throttle, using a pair of pliers or your fingers.
If the engine R.P.M. stabilizes, the governor or governor adjustment should be checked.

Governor adjustment procedure;

Good Luck