Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Kohler K-301 problem

VA

03-27-12, 04:30 AM   #1  
Kohler K-301 problem

I have a Wheel Horse with an Kohler k-301 12hp. The throttle is acting real funny. If you move it slightly from idle it will race to full throttle. It was backfiring while running so I adjusted the points. It started running smooth but started this throttle problem. I have readjusted the timing several times but still have the same problem. I adjusted the timing according to the manual but can not figure what I could have done wrong. Before I adjusted the timing you had full range of the throttle but it was popping and backfiring.

Sponsored Links

FL

03-27-12, 02:45 PM   #2  
Hello Torino,

It sounds like you may have a governor issue, These governors are made of plastic/nylon, Over years of use and getting hot then cooling they get brittle and snap.

I suspect that the backfiring issue has caused the governor to come apart and no longer function, You can check/adjust the governor as outlined below. If doing so doesn't solve the issue, Your looking at going inside for a governor replacement.

Good Luck

Search this Thread