Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

carburetor problem

MO

03-31-12, 07:26 PM   #1  
carburetor problem

Hello...I have been reading these threads and I have a very similar issue and was hoping some of your superb advice might help me! I just bought a house with a yard (so now I am very poor and I bought a good looking craftsman lawnmower with a b&g 6.75hp mower second hand for $40. Put gas in it, nothing, changed the spark plug, nothing, checked the oil level, good, changed the air filter, nothing...sprayed starting fluid into the carb and it would start and run for about 1 second and cut out.

I was told maybe the carb was gummy and dirty so I watched a youtube video and cleaned out the carburetor with carb cleaner (removed the bowl, cleaned it and the bolt, pulled the carb out and cleaned all the jets--the carb was sticky and gummy feeling--all cleaned--put it back together and same thing happens!!! I am frustrated and broke...seems like a great deal if i can get it to keep running! If anyone has any other ideas or pointers I would very much appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-31-12, 08:59 PM   #2  
Welcome to doityourself.com!

I moved this to it's own thread instead of tagged onto a 3 page thread about honda engines.

Congrats on the home purchase.
It sounds like your carb still needs cleaning. What did you clean it with, and did you clean the holes in the piece that unscrews from the bottom of the carb?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MO

04-01-12, 02:12 PM   #3  
Thank you!! I used gumout carb cleaner. I am going to check the screw from the bottom of the bowl again today. I wire brushed it out but didn't pay alot of attention to it. But I have a new development...it now starts after I prime it 3-5x's on its own without the starting fluid spray...but it dies out just the same. But when I prime it now I hear a suctioning type sound that I didn't hear before...like its actually squirting gas into the carb to get it to start. So I think something came unclogged...do you think there could be a clog in the fuel line? I just filled up the tank, and I vise gripped the line when I took the carb off so as not to have a huge puddle of gas in my driveway. But maybe thats whats clogged??!?!!? Thanks again for any help!!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-02-12, 12:12 AM   #4  
Sounds like the tiny holes in the bowl screw are still partially clogged.

God bless!

MO

04-03-12, 03:26 PM   #5  
You are genius indeed!! I pulled the bowl screw out, cleaned the holes very good and wire brushed the goop off of it, and I mowed my whole yard with my $40 lawnmower!!! She's purring like a kitten!!! Thank you so much! Your knowledge was very helpful!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-03-12, 04:26 PM   #6  
Great! Glad we could help, and thanks for the update!

God bless!

Search this Thread