Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda HR215

TX

04-02-12, 08:42 AM   #1  
Honda HR215

This mower starts on the first pull.My problem when you engage the blade it will die.I have turn up the idling screw,makes no difference it still won't run,when the blade is engage.I also have turn the fast speed screw in and still makes no difference.Thats the two screws down by the linkage the other screw is the choke stop screw.There is no grass built up under the blade all is clear.I have run out of ideas.Please help.Model #GXV140

Thanks
Jerry

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-02-12, 09:33 AM   #2  
Do you hear the blade come on when it dies, or is it not even turning, like a clutch problem?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Group Moderator

NC

04-02-12, 09:40 AM   #3  
Are you able to verify that the blade brake is disengaging?

TX

04-02-12, 04:15 PM   #4  
Yes to both questions.The blade does engage,also the clutch does disengage,because the rpm are higher,with no load.What else could be causing this.

Thanks,
Jerry

Group Moderator

NC

04-02-12, 04:34 PM   #5  
There are two things that must happen. The clutch that must engage and a blade brake that must disengage. You have confirmed that the clutch is engaging which still leaves the question about the brake. If the clutch is engaging while the brake is engaged/on then it will drag the motor down.

TX

04-03-12, 04:38 PM   #6  
I'm confused about the brake on this mower.On other mowers has the bail,you hold down and start the mower,and release the bail and the mower stops.On this one put on the choke and start the mower then push the lever on the handle up to fast,and then push the yellow button on the handle down while pushing the handle forward to engage the blade,and release the lever and the blade stops.When you push the lever on the handle up to stop to kill the motor.Where does the brake come to play.How do you check,and adjust the brake.Sorry for the long post.

Thanks,
Jerry

Group Moderator

NC

04-03-12, 05:14 PM   #7  
On many mowers the engine is turned off when you let go of the handle and there is no clutch. Let go of the handle and the ignition is turned off and a brake clamps down on the engine's flywheel to stop it turning very quickly. A mower marketed to stay running when you let go of the handle is a bit more complex. When you let go of the handle a clutch connecting the blade to the engine must disengage and to meet safety regulations a brake clamps down on the blade assembly to quickly stop it from spinning.

Remove the spark plug from the engine for safety. With nobody depressing the controls up on the handle the mower blade should be difficult to move. If someone depresses the blade engagement controls up on the handle like when mowing can you turn the mower blade? Again, since you will be putting your hand on the blade don't simply trust that the motor isn't running. It's your hand. Take the time to remove the spark plug. Removing the plug also makes it easier to turn when the brake is disengaged.

TX

04-04-12, 07:33 AM   #8  
Pilot Dane,thanks for the info.I have to go out of town for a few days,but when I return I will check the brake as you said.I don't work on many honda's,I have overhaul some carbs. and had great success in getting them going.

Thanks,
Jerry

TX

04-09-12, 03:30 PM   #9  
Pilot Dane,I took the spark plug out,and turn the mower on it's side carb. up.I could not turn the blade.I had someone depress the blade engagement control and the blade moved freely.It still starts on the first pull,but still dies when I engage the blade.What should I try next.

Thanks,
Jerry

Group Moderator

NC

04-10-12, 04:41 AM   #10  
It sounds like the blade brake is engaging and disengaging properly. When you have the engine running and engage the blade can you tell if the blade starts moving even if it's just a turn or two? I am beginning to think you may have a problem with the governor, it's linkage or maybe even a carburetor problem. If so, the engine is just being dragged down by the extra load of spinning the blade up to speed.

TX

04-10-12, 06:55 AM   #11  
I believe the blade is engaging,it s hard to tell.The mower will die when I barely engage the lever forward.I will take off the carb. and clean it and check the governer.Thanks again Pilot Dane.

Thanks,
Jerry

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-10-12, 09:45 AM   #12  
Does the engine run perfectly fine at all speeds other than when you engage it? It sounds like carb issues to me as well.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

TX

04-11-12, 06:49 AM   #13  
I took the carb. off and clean it,now the mower runs great.Thanks Pilot Dane and cheese,this is a great forum.

Jerry

05-22-13, 07:54 AM   #14  
Honda carb

I would love to know how to clean this carb so my engine will run without the choke on. It was in storage for several years and the bowl was full of varnish. I pretty much cleaned that out, but can only run it with the choke on. Whenever I try to take it off of choke it dies. What is the brand and model of the carb on this Honda?

Group Moderator

NC

05-22-13, 08:56 AM   #15  
You need to remove the carburetor from the engine. Disassemble it and probably soak it for several hours or overnight in carburetor cleaner. Then spray out all the passages & jets with spray carb cleaner and reassemble.

Search this Thread