Craftsman Heavy Duty 17" Tiller

Old 04-04-12, 07:32 AM
Craftsman Heavy Duty 17" Tiller

I have a Craftsman Heavy Duty 17" rear tine tiller that was working just fine and then just stopped moving. Was not even using it to till just moving it around. Put in reverse and it moved back. Stopped for a second. Went to put back into gear and nothing. Checked the belt, it looked old and worn so purchased a new belt for it. Have not put the belt on yet but have read through other forums that this is not going to fix the moving issue. Anyone got any suggestions before I tear into the tillers transmission?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-12, 08:17 AM
It would help us help you if you would post the model number so we could see what you have. But it sounds like you will have to tear it down.

Old 04-04-12, 08:58 AM
Group Moderator
Does the engine run? From your post I assume so but want to make sure that we are talking about a transmission, belt or linkage issue and not debugging the engine.

Old 04-04-12, 09:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the belt is on and turning, then it's not the problem. These are a pain to tear down because you have to remove everything, the engine, tines, sheet metal, handles, everything. Then you split the case apart. They have several problem areas in the case. If the tiller has sat outside, water seeps between the case halves and makes a rusty mess of the innards. The chain may have broken, or the shifter may have broken as well.