Weed eater differance

Old 04-07-12, 10:34 AM
Weed eater differance

My weed eater of ten years finally bought the farm. Considering it was a rebuilt, that I bought off the back of a truck, I more then got my moneys worth out of it. My question is, I have been looking at new ones, that have multiple attachments. And I noticed they come in 2 cycle, and 4 cycle. Is one better then the other, I wouldn't have to mix gas with the 4 cycle. And over the years, a few times I put the wrong gas in it. It doesn't run very long with straight gas, and I am lucky it lasted as long as it did.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-12, 11:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If I were buying and I wasn't intending to buy a good trimmer (not a box store product), then I'd probably just minimize my losses ahead of time and buy the cheapest one I could find (weedeater featherlite). They hold up okay for a cheap trimmer.

4cycle = more parts, more weight, less power per pound, don't have to mix gas. Not my choice.

Old 04-07-12, 01:55 PM
cheese, Actually I was looking at buying a troy-built. It comes with different heads, for different job. And it even has a electric starter, for those hard to start days. I like the limber, brush cuter, and maybe the blower and power broom.

Old 04-07-12, 05:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like that trimmer with all those bells and whistles might wind up costing nearly as much as a good trimmer. If you don't mind spedning that much, why not get a good one? Troy bilt is about as poor as it gets. I recently put a new trimmer attachment on a troy bilt that had already worn through 2 trimmer attachments in maybe 4 years. The power head needed work too, but being on the third attachment in 4 years is unacceptable. Low end trimmers don't last long, aren't dependable, reliable, balanced, efficient, and are under powered. Look at an echo, stihl, or other quality equipment if these things are important to you. I can't recommend any of the low end stuff.

Old 04-07-12, 05:42 PM
Group Moderator
Jack of all trades, master of none. Personally I think most of the attachments are a waste and I can't imagine spending any time fighting the blower at the end of a long stick or a power broom that clears a path half as wide as a old fashioned push broom. Add in the time to convert from one tool to the other and where to store the bits without loosing something and I'm not a fan.