No Spark

Old 04-08-12, 04:32 AM
No Spark

I have a Craftsman lawn tractor,Model #917.250261. Engine Model #MV20S, Type 57527. I use this tractor all year for snowblowing and mowing. It;s been great until now. I have no spark. Sometimes it will start and run for a minute or two then sputter and die...I will check the spark and there is none. I have bypassed the seat safety switch and still nothing... Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-12, 04:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Sometimes rust is not your friend. It can present itself on the flywheel/armature area and will prevent an arc from taking place. Usually on the magnet itself. Have you taken the flywheel off, yet. Others may chime in with other theories, but I have found anytime there is no spark, the source would be a rusty flywheel.

Old 04-08-12, 04:42 AM
This is my next step... I want to check coil for spark so I will be doing this shortly.

Old 04-08-12, 03:49 PM
You'll have a single wire coming off the ignition module (coil). Disconnect that at the first juncture away from the coil. Then see if you have spark. If you don't, you likely have a bad coil. If you do have spark, you have a problem farther away from the coil in the wiring or a safety switch. A lot of times the seat switch is the problem.

Old 04-08-12, 06:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not sure how you bypassed the seat safety switch, but jumping a wire across the connector won't work.

If your engine has the single kill wire that marbobj mentioned, his test will be accurate. If yours has more than one, you have the Kohler SAM ignition and diagnosis is a bit more difficult.

Old 04-10-12, 05:43 PM
no spark

Thanks to all for all the info. Pulled the kill wire from the coil and I have spark.Put the kill wire back on and no spark. Soooooo....Did some checking throughout the wiring harness and all looked good...Turned out it was the ignition switch. Must have been shorting out inside....Bought a new switch and PRESTO......All done.....

Turns out my Dad has the same tractor and his did the same thing... Took the chance on buying the switch and sure enough...

Thanks again and hope I can help someone down the road...

Search this Thread