2.2 4stroke gennie irregular throttling

Old 04-10-12, 03:09 AM
2.2 4stroke gennie irregular throttling

hi,
i have a bran new boxed 4stroke, 2.2 kw portable "Olmega" generator

just opened the new gennie, filled the oil, fuel and checked the air filter.

yanked it 3 times and it started with no problem.

but it runs very irregular. the automatic throttle keeps cranking and dropping the revs every second.

i can sort the problem by ajusting the air/fuel mix with the choke, but it only stabelizes for about a minute before it starts again

anybody have any ideas?

could it be electric? or maybe the carb needs tuning?

i can help myself around petrol motors but not an expert at all.

any help please...

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-12, 09:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd take it back if it's new. What engine is on it? I don't think I ever heard of the brand. Is this one of the Chinese knockoff generators?

Old 04-10-12, 10:53 AM
im pretty sure its one of those generic chinese models where the importer slaps a label on it.

the problem is, i did not buy it, got it from a friend who had no use for it. but was still in plastic when i got it.

i got it to run pretty stable today with the choke opened 50%. but the moment i open it all the way it starts reving/ dropping/ reving/ dropping/ at precise 1 second intervals.

when it does run at 50% choke, it spits out a nice smooth 220 though.

but im not sure if it will do that if i put a big load on it???

Old 04-10-12, 11:58 AM
Group Moderator
I have had similar problems with inexpensive Chinese carburetors. Once I was able to spot a problem and fix it but some are made so bad I could not make them work right and had to get a different carb.

If you can not get your carburetor to work right you can try to find a brand name carb for it. Most of the Chinese engines are copies of Honda's or other popular brands. Try and figure out what the copied and get an original even if it's a used, but good carburetor. If you are mechanically inclined you can make any similar carburetor work. The difficult part is usually the linkage for the throttle and governor.

Old 04-10-12, 04:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yep, it's a carburetor problem. Try cleaning it and see if that helps. If not, I have successfully used torch tip cleaners from a welding supply shop to open the main jet just a tad, enough to richen the fuel mixture to stop it from surging.

Search this Thread