Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Front wheel issue for Murray self-propelled mower. Stripped out gear teeth.

IN

04-14-12, 03:38 PM   #1  
Front wheel issue for Murray self-propelled mower. Stripped out gear teeth.

I hope that someone here can help me solve the issue that I have with the front wheels for my mower.

I own an self-propelled mower that used the Murray #071133 front wheels. I've owned this mower for over 10 years and it has been a good unit. The OEM front wheels lasted 8~9 years before the internal plastic driven gear teeth (inside of the wheel) sheared off. I can say that the OEm wheels were good ones.. Since them I've been stuck with buying the aftermarket wheels which only have been lasting about one season before the teeth shear off of the ID of the wheel. Tonight I did a thoroug investigation because I wanted to make sure that the metal drive gear and shaft didn't have any slop. I found the drive gear and shaft to be in excellent shape. The plast front wheel bushing has a ton of slop which allows the wheel to pivot on the axle and creates too much slop between the drive gear and the plastic gears on for the front wheel. This allows the plasitc teeth to be sheared off easily since the tooth engagement is no good.

Can I still buy the OEM wheels? I see that there is anothter wheel #011021 on the market now. Is the 011021 wheel a tighter fit. Has anyone run into this same issue?

Advice needed..

I may break down and cut some new bushings for the inside of these wheels that fit much tighter to the axle shaft. Any thoughts?

Thank you..

Sponsored Links

FL

04-14-12, 06:13 PM   #2  
Hello 3_3_Liter,

It appears one can still get these OEM wheels from most any Briggs & Stratton dealer, There has been a part number change to 071133MA.

Here's one on-line store that shows them in stock; Outdoor Distributors - Lawn Mower Parts

Good Luck

IN

04-21-12, 03:17 PM   #3  
Which is the best fitting wheel? The OEM or the one of the aftermarket?

I assume that the OEM wheel fits the best.. Maybe the OEM wheel worked too well and the re-design fails after 2 seasons. I would guess that this is a very difficult question.

I'll try the OEM wheel that you suggest and see if it fits better. I only am getting a season out of the aftermarket wheels.

FL

04-21-12, 07:52 PM   #4  
3_3_Liter,

The OEM part number was changed due to Briggs buying Murray so you should still get a quality OEM fit unlike a aftermarket wheel....

Search this Thread