Tries to start

Old 04-17-12, 07:29 AM
Tries to start

I have a Craftsman riding mower with a Kohler 16 hp motor,,just cleaned the carb after winter set up,and the mower fires but won't run.I soaked the carb in cleaner overnite and put a carb kit on it but it still fires and dies out?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-12, 08:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A little more info? Does it only start for a split second and die immediately? Will it run better or longer with the choke applied fully? Is the choke fully engaging on the carb? Is the fuel shutoff solenoid working? What engine is on this?

Old 04-18-12, 05:50 AM
the choke seems to be working fine,it only starts and shuts right off,I have the shutoff disabled,thats what I thought it was originally.It's a Kohler 16 hp

Old 04-18-12, 09:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Kohler has made many different 16 hp engines.

I don't know what kind of ignition system or what kind of carburetor you have without knowing what engine you have.

Old 04-19-12, 07:46 AM
The spec # is cv4608

Old 04-19-12, 10:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That number isn't coming up for me in the kohler literature, but the cv part of the number tells me it's a command engine. I don't know which mower it's on, but most craftsmans with kohlers have a set of 3 relays under the dash area. I'm thinking one of these is killing the ignition. If you engine doesn't have an SAM module, there should be one wire plugged on to the bottom of the ignition coil. If so, unplug this wire and see if it will run this way. If so, you won't be able to shut it off without reconnecting it or pulling the plug wire. If it does run with this wire unplugged, I would say a bad relay is causing your problem.