honda gx25 engine on fg110 tiller

Old 04-20-12, 07:58 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
honda gx25 engine on fg110 tiller

Hello. Does anybody have experience with this small 4 stroke engine? I have one that I picked up used and it's smoking a lot when running. Timing seems ok (piston at TDC when arrow is straight up on the cam wheel). When I initially dumped the oil, it looked a bit thin (with gas maybe) so I put a rebuild kit in the carb. Not sure if it was overflowing before but carb seems ok now. It seems to have oil all over the outside of the engine and some in the breather. How long should I run to see if the smoke clears before deciding that it needs new rings?

Old 04-20-12, 09:34 AM
Hello crosstalk,

I would think that if it did flood out and mix fuel in the oil it would blow out the breather and burn excess out of the muffler in around 15 mins or so.....

Good Luck

Old 04-20-12, 08:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I agree with 31YTech. If it still smokes after that long, time for a set of rings. Hondas usually take a re-ring job well.

Old 05-01-12, 07:51 AM
C
It runs ok (without smoke) without the muffler so I ordered a replacement muffler. I think there is a lot of old oil in the muffler. Next problem is that I can't get it to start cold with the choke on. I have to use no choke and hold the throttle open. Once started, it idles and revs ok. Any ideas?

Old 05-01-12, 09:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Then the carburetor is flooding it. If this is the case, there may also be gas in the oil. This would also cause smoking. Usually a good carb cleaning will remedy the problem. Take the needle out and clean it and the seat area well to stop the leaking.

Old 05-01-12, 09:28 AM
C
Thanks. It has a walbro diaphragm carb (wyb series). Is the metering lever supposed to be flush with the casting? It might be a bit high currently. Also, the fuel tank seems to be pressurized after running. Is this normal?

Old 05-01-12, 05:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ugh... Not what I had pictured in my mind. I don't know that engine well enough to give expert advice, but before making any changes, smell the oil. Does it smell like gas?

Old 05-02-12, 01:20 PM
C
It doesn't smell like gas at the moment. Yesterday I couldn't get it to start even with the throttle held open, so I decided to check the valve lash. Adjusted the valves, cleaned the spark plug and it started right up with the choke on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: