Craftsman LT1000 flywheel hard to turn

Old 04-25-12, 07:16 PM
Craftsman LT1000 flywheel hard to turn

My LT1000 has killed several batteries. When I try to start it, the flywheel clicks, turns a little and stuck. I tried to turn it with hand and feel it's very hard to turn at the point, but if I turn the flywheel pass the point, engine starts fine. I searched the forum and found someone had the same problem that can be solved by adjusting the valve clearances. I did the same but didn't solve it. The flywheel is even hard to turn at the same point with the spark plug removed, so I figured it is not the valve clearances problem. Any idea? please help!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-12, 09:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it's hard to turn even with the spark plug out, then you have either a problem with the coil being too close to the flywheel, a magnet(s) that came loose under the flywheel hitting the charging stator, or internal problems. If it were any of these, I would expect an accompanying tell-tale sound with the engine running. Since you said it has killed several batteries, I would suspect that the charging stator has been damaged by loose flywheel magnets. Pull the flywheel and see.