Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Shopping for new Garden Tiller

AL

04-26-12, 10:10 AM   #1  
Shopping for new Garden Tiller

I have a 1/3 acre vegetable garden. For the last few years I have been having a neighbor(now deceased) break it up and till it with his full size tractor. I then work it with a mini front tine tiller which has now bit the dust. I am looking at full size rear tine tillers that can do the whole job. I am looking at two Cub Cadet models.
One has gear driven cast iron transmission with 1 forward/reverse, 208cc Cub Cadet OHV engine, counter rotating tines, and 13" wheels. Cost $649.
The other seems heavier and sturdier, has 187cc Honda GC 190OHC engine, chain driven transmission, 1 forward/reverse, 16" wheels, dual tine direction. Cost $799.
If anyone has experience with these and cares to offer their comments plus or minus it would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-26-12, 03:31 PM   #2  
Hello Old fisherman,

For the job you have at hand, and the money you intend to spend, I'd go buy a used older troy-bilt horse and never have to buy a tiller again. Those you are looking at are toys compared to one. I'm seeing chinese engines on the Cub cadets, and the honda on the other is a GC model (consumer grade, not heavy duty). 1/3 acre needs a real tiller if you're going to be using it regularly.

This may not be the reply you were looking for, but it's the best advice I can offer.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Last edited by cheese; 04-26-12 at 08:23 PM.

FL

04-26-12, 06:34 PM   #3  
Hello old fisherman,

I have to agree with Mr. Cheese, The unit's your looking at are cheaply built and wouldn't hold up for what you have in mind.

I've had a Troybuilt Horse tiller in my rental fleet for over 20 years, The only thing we've had to replace is tine and axle seals. Customers seem to wrap wire/string ect. around the shafts, Yes a new Horse is on the expensive side but a good used one may be within your budget.

I also have 3 customers with these in the 30+ year old range still tilling strong.....

Good Luck

PA

04-28-12, 07:24 PM   #4  
I also would recommend getting a used Troy-Bilt Horse. Mine is over 30 years old and I used it the first 6 years I had it to till customers' gardens. They are extremely well designed, easy to work on, and parts are available.

Search this Thread