Mower gas pedal constant speed?

Old 04-26-12, 06:31 PM
Mower gas pedal constant speed?

Hi, I have a Craftsman mower that has a hyrdostatic trasmission and a gas pedal. I don't like the pedal because I can never get the mower to go the same speed. I like the old days where I just put the mower in 3rd gear and it always went the same speed. This new mower I have to put the gas pedal down and then find the right speed and put the cruise on. But then when I get to the end of the yard, I have to turn the cruse off, turn around and then fiddle with getting it the right speed and turning the cruise on until I get to the other side of the yard. It always feels like I'm going too slow or fast... can never get it consistent.

So, I've been trying to think of a way to rig something up so I could just flip a switch and then my mower's throttle would get stuck and the speed I like and I'd just use my brake to stop... seeing I now know from the crafstman tech that comes out for warranty work the brake is also a clutch.

Something I just thought of earlier is if I had a way to rig a mount or a stopper behind the pedal so when I push it all the way, it will just go the speed I want it to go everytime. Then I set the cruise. Maybe if it was a bracket I could move behind the pedal and stop it at the same spot everytime. But if I wanted to go faster, I could pivot the bracket and it would allow me to push it all the way down. But when I'm mowing and want to go the same constant speed, then I pivot it back so it blocks the pedal from going down too far.

Does anyone have any other creative ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-12, 06:40 PM
Hello dorlow,

Can you post the model number off the white decal under the seat ?

Thanks

Old 04-26-12, 06:50 PM
917.28990 is the model. .

Old 04-26-12, 07:09 PM
OK dorlow,

I just took a quick gander at your machine, Is this a new to you machine ?

I've never ran across a complaint like this before, Most people only use the brake pedal to start the machine. Once running let the brake pedal up and use the forward/reverse pedal to go and stop, The engineer that came up with the "cruise" idea on a mower should be shot. Just work/hold the drive pedal like you do the gas pedal in your vehicle, Modifying controls could be harmful to you and or others so be careful.....

Old 04-26-12, 08:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Maybe your seat needs to move forwards so you have better hell-toe pivot control and you can maneuver the pedal better? Other than that, I can't imagine why it would be awkward or hard to control. Maybe the linkage is dry and sticking, causing it to jump instead of moving freely and causing speed issues.

Old 04-27-12, 03:54 AM
No there's nothing mechanically wrong with the mower. I just dont like always having to guess the same speed. I like the old mowers were they went the same speed everytime. That's all I want. From what I understand to have a really nice mowed yard you have to mow at a constant speed. With this type of mower where there's a million pedal positions, how can I guarantee I'm going the same speed all the time?

Old 04-27-12, 10:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The speed isn't as critical as you think. Top speed is too fast for a good cut. Other than that, just drive the mower around comfortably. There is no need to worry about whether you're going 2.3 or 2.6 miles per hour, it doesn't matter.

Old 04-27-12, 03:11 PM
Group Moderator
I can understand where you are coming from and I especially notice it when plowing or bush hogging a large field. In a large area I like a gear tractor where you just put it in gear and let it go. A certain gear and a certain engine rpm gives you a known, constant speed. When I try doing the same with the hydrostatic tractor I'm forever feathering the hydro pedal to hold the correct speed as I'm bouncing up & down in the seat. It's not as big a deal for me when mowing however since I'm changing speeds quite often but I did sell my Kubota BX22 because the hydro pedal was in an odd position for me and my knee ended up killing me after an hour mowing.

If you always like a certain maximum speed can you attach a metal bracket under the pedal with a tapped hole with a bolt. The bolt head can be a stop to limit the hydro pedals travel. When mowing you just push it all the way down and hold it.

Old 04-27-12, 04:49 PM
From what I understand to have a really nice mowed yard you have to mow at a constant speed.

dorlow,

I had never heard of such so I took the liberty and posted the above on one of my Professional Lawn Maintenance message boards, Here is a couple replies I got;

If you mow too fast you wont' get a good cut. If you mow fast the mower could bounce in uneven terrain and end up with uneven cut/scalping.

If you mow slower the blades have a better chance of cutting all the grass and you have less chance of a bouncing mower..

obvisoulsy there's a fine line with going TOO slow and being unproductive, and going too fast for a good cut.

I don't think you'll notice any difference in cut between 4 and 8 mph (or maybe a little more), if the blades are sharp, the growth isn't too tall/thick or wet, and you've got a powerful machine. As long as you aren't trying to scalp, and the terrain is smooth. I think you could go faster and slower, faster and slower, as though you were texting and mowing, and you would see no difference.

Too fast can be bad, but I don't think "consistent" or "constant" speed matters.

Slowing down and speeding up won't affect the cut quality, so long as you don't go too fast or start bouncing.

Just for info......

Search this Thread