Honday Harmony mower - just out of the shop and now almost impossible to start!

Old 04-30-12, 09:26 AM
Honday Harmony mower - just out of the shop and now almost impossible to start!

I have a HRX217HXA. I had it in the shop a few weeks ago for annual service and repair. They put in a new carb, welded on a broken/missing piece on the handle, and also had to replace the cable drive thing (it would not pull backwards - the wheels locked up). They forgot the fix the cable on the first visit, so I actually had it in there twice. The total for both visits was $311.

I've used the mower 3 times since I got it back...and each time I can barely start it. When I pull the cord, it's like pulling on a rock....it is EXTREMELY difficult to pull the cord out...it takes everything I've got...and I am not a weak woman. This last time I started it, the cord yanked back on me so hard, the cord handle whipped around and broke in half.

I have NEVER had any problems starting this mower until now...this has just been since it came back from Land and Coates (the repair shop). Any ideas on what they could have done to cause this?? I am going to call them, but I hoped to get some advice here first.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-12, 09:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It kind of sounds like the cable they put on isn't working right and the blade brake is still activated.

Old 04-30-12, 10:03 AM
Thanks...I know it has to be something that they did...as this mower has always started easily. I just called them, and they are picking it up tomorrow to take a look.

I was reading through some of the other threads here, and this one has a couple of people posting where their cord ripped out of their hand just like mine did...but nothing about it being hard to pull out. Different issue?

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ou...violently.html

Old 04-30-12, 06:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Well, I thought about the flywheel key, but I don't suspect it this time, especially if you haven't hit anything with it... and it is hard to pull out, which the key wouldn't cause. A missing, short, or loose blade can, but if this just came from the shop, I would expect it has a good blade and I think this blade is attached with 2 bolts, so I doubt it is loose.

Old 05-07-12, 12:36 PM
Supposed to be dropping it off today...

Was supposed to get it this weekend, but they didn't get it done in time. They said it was repaired, and that the problem was that the "valves weren't closing properly". Can someone explain to me what that means, and how that would have happened? I never had the problem until the replaced the carb and the drive cable....so I really believe it was something that they caused.

Old 05-07-12, 01:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would be leaning with cheese on this one. The flywheel brake cable may be out of adjustment or need replacing. Although if it is not releasing the flywheel brake, I doubt that it is opening the contact that grounds the coil either. I think most all honda's have adjustments for the cables...that could have been changed on the wrong cable????

If it was a valve adjustment issue, it would be because the valves are not "opening" rather than closing. Valve adjustments would be part of a regular service for an OHV, so if it was done improperly....and the valves are not opening ...I suppose it could cause it to recoil...although I have never experienced it.

Old 05-07-12, 02:09 PM
Okay...he might have said that the "valves were closing incorrectly"...or something near to it. Anyway, he did say that the problem was the valves, and yes the previous visits were for regular annual service in addition to the repairs, so this was apparently something that they failed to adjust after they finished everything else.