B & S Governor Shaft won't turn

Old 05-03-12, 07:12 PM
B & S Governor Shaft won't turn

I have a B & S vertical shaft gas engine model #461707 for a 46" cut, riding mower. I had an engine fire last fall because of the muffler being so low to the ground and leaves building up under there. I have everything fixed and/or replaced and it is running again. My problem is I can not get it to run correctly. I had to remove the carburetor to replace the bell crank that had melted. I had to remove the choke and throttle cables and tried to adjust the governor. The speed is not controllable with the throttle cable. I bought a B & S repair manual and followed the instructions on setting the carburetor and the governor.I have spent 6 hours today adjusting the idle screw then bending the governed idle tang and then trying to adjust the top-no-load adjustment screw. The throttle cable will not control the engine speed. At the end of the day, I read further in the book that I may need to make a static governor adjustment before running the engine. I didn't think this was necessary (or would have done it first) because the pic in the repair manual is different from my carburetor/governor set-up. Further, I have just learned that the governor shaft doesn't turn. If anyone has ever experienced this situation or has knowledge of a round tachometer and it's use, please, please reply. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-12, 08:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Remove the linkage from the governor arm and see if the shaft turns. If not, it's stuck or something is wrong in the engine. If it does turn, then the throttle is probably stuck.

Old 05-04-12, 06:25 PM
Thanks for your quick reply. The shaft does turn but only a couple of degrees (maybe 1/16th of an inch). How much should it turn? I appreciate your knowledge and help with this! I forgot to add that I didn't remove the linkage arm because that would require removing the carb, manifold etc. But I loosened the linkage enough to where the shaft would move but a very small amount. Thanks again.

Last edited by irishpride60; 05-04-12 at 06:33 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 05-04-12, 07:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No problem,

You loosened the pinch bolt on the governor arm? If so, the governor is going to have to be reset. I suspect the throttle is stuck on the carb, but we can't know until you isolate the carb from the governor by removing the linkage. One is stuck, the other isn't. I can't tell from this side of the monitor which one it is. You should be able to just remove the bolt going through the bellcrank to remove the carburetor linkage and isolate the two. I'm thinking something is hooked up wrong with the linkage or maybe the throttle bushings in the carb melted during the fire and froze the throttle shaft up.

Old 05-05-12, 06:18 PM
How far is the governor shaft supposed to turn?

According to the book, I loosened what is called the "governor lever nut". Then I pushed on the "governor lever" until the throttle was wide open. Now, what I am trying to rotate counter-clockwise is the "governor shaft" as far as it will go. So, what I loosened was the "governor lever nut" and pushed on the "governor lever" until the throttle was wide open. My question is....How far is the "governor shaft" supposed to turn in the counter-clockwise position when it is set correctly vs. set incorrectly?? Currently it only turns about 1/16th on an inch. Is that how much it should be able to turn? On my engine, you can't pull the "bell crank bolt" out without completely removing the carburetor. The bolt is between the carb and the manifold. So, I would like to avoid pulling the carb as I have replaced the gaskets and filled the tank with gas. I have also installed new fuel line insulation. Would it help for me to email you pictures?
Thanks!

Old 05-05-12, 08:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It should turn more than 1/16 inch. It should probably turn about 1/5 of a turn or maybe 70 degrees give or take, going from memory.

From what it sounds like, the throttle shaft on your carb is moving freely when you move the governor back and forth? If so, then that leaves the governor shaft as the culprit. If you set the governor as indicated and it doesn't work, you may have to pull the pan off the engine and see what's wrong with it.